Good Hiking Shoes/Disc Golf Shoes

A place to talk about the newest discs, bags and any other disc golf related equipment.
closed
Advanced

Good Hiking Shoes/Disc Golf Shoes

Post by closed » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 pm

I am in need a better boot for Disc Golf. Problem is there are so many out there hard to pick a good one. Any one have any opinions? :eusa-think: I was looking it the Merrell Moab one of the few that comes in wide with a Vibram bottom

Cypress Will
Discussion Pro

Re: Good Hiking Shoes/Disc Golf Shoes

Post by Cypress Will » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:30 pm

I would recommend a pair with something more solid than cloth eyelets/lace hole things. Just got a pair of Keens in January and one of them is about to break. I'm pretty sure the same happend to Lynch's Merrells. Even when they were now it was tough to lace them up tight, now if i try to i know it will pop. Engineered obsolescence.

softball29
Intermediate

Post by softball29 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:36 pm

I have used Merrell's for the past several years and I love them. They are perfect. Either the higher tops or lower tops are solid. At least they have been for me. They last about a year or so, pending on how much you use them, before it seems like they need to be replaced.
My disc golf blog: Rattling Chains
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:44 am

My Merrells took less than a year to be rendered almost useless. Paid for a waterproof boot and 5 months in I have wet socks after kickin thru dewey grass. Never again.

My Columbia winter boots(Bugaboot) made it thru three winters and still have some life left in them. Feet still warm and dry after a 2-round tourney. Had Columbia summer hikers before the Merrell test-run and will be buying again soon.

Specifically i've been looking at this model:
Columbia Shastalavista Mid
2019 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

Scoontar
Discussion Pro

Post by Scoontar » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:06 am

Best Shoe out there-Hands Down. The Patagonia Drifter-Merrells don't come close to the Drifter. Merrells Quality has gone way done over the years. I bought a pair of Moabs-started falling apart within 5 months. Bought em with Gore Tex-Waterproof-they were never waterproof. My feet would be soaked walking in a dew covered field. Their shoes are probably being made in China.

A Friend on the Skylands Board recommended them, and they are by far the Best Disc Golf Performing Shoe.

The Grip on the shoe is Far Superior than a Merrell. I work at Ski Resort-The Merrells were bad in the snow, with little grip. The Drifter gripped the Snow like my Columbia Winter Boot.

They are also Very Comfortable. I do have Huge feet-Size 16, Boot Size 14. My feet tend to wear out shoes faster, not with the Drifter. 6 months in, and still very solid with no tears etc.

http://www.zappos.com/patagonia-drifter ... ndle-brown

I didn't get the Waterproof, due to my bad experience with the so called waterproof Merrells.

closed
Advanced

Post by closed » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:26 am

Thanks Scoontar I looked into them. Problem is my feet are a 4E as in super wide. And they do not come wide enough. It looks like New Balance Hiking is the way to go for me.

Ven
Discussion Pro

Post by Ven » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:37 am

I use Muck Boots. Totally waterproof and warm. Extremely light and comfortable. Very durable. Lots of designs to choose from. Lots of competitors in the neoprene boot field. Available at most farm supply stores like Agway.

If it is dry I use a pair of New Balance Hikers. Comfortable and durable.

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:02 am

I have these http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7466-vasque/7466-vasque-mens-breeze-gtx-taupe-burntorange now for 18 months. They are super comfortable, durable, not too heavy and I can wear them year round. Not too hot in the summer and warm enough in the winter. They have been holding up great no real signs of unnecessary wear. My only complaint was that I bought them with expecting them to be water proof and they don't quite hold up in that regard. They are more water resistant than water proof. Even with added water proofing that I put on every few months. They are fine in rain or dew cover grass and even snow if it's not super wet. But if I stand in water or really wet snow it will eventually seep though. Beside that they are wonderful. A little pricey I paid $130 for them but they are lasting great and thinking I will get at least another year or more out of them.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

JimBerry

Post by JimBerry » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:15 am

Ven wrote:I use Muck Boots. Totally waterproof and warm. Extremely light and comfortable. Very durable. Lots of designs to choose from. Lots of competitors in the neoprene boot field. Available at most farm supply stores like Agway.

If it is dry I use a pair of New Balance Hikers. Comfortable and durable.

I agree they are comfortable and durable also..But I guess it is quite expensive.

timdef
Discussion Pro

Post by timdef » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:32 am

i went to the REI flagship store in Denver a few weeks ago... the guy there that gave me like 8 pairs of boots to try on including Teva Raith's. I explained that i like to hike and play disc golf and that i have very narrow feet. I wanted as light as possible with water protection. I went with the Teva Raiths. Due to recent heat and my fear of suffering blisters/pain from breaking them in I have yet to be in a place to really vouch for them. I'll try to remember to in the future

lilly26

Post by lilly26 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:09 am

Hello,

There are a few keys to look out for when you are looking into getting a good pair of disc golf shoes. Your own personal preferences are very important, so you will need to evaluate what you need and the area in which you will be playing in. If you play in diverse climates, you might want to go with a blend of a couple of options or pick out a couple even.
Thanks...

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:15 pm

.........or i could borrow shoes from another disc golfer.
2019 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112