DisCap Generations ** PLEASE RESPOND **

New members are encouraged to tell a little about themselves.
Engineer
Advanced

Re: DisCap Generations ** PLEASE RESPOND **

Post by Engineer » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:48 pm

MichiganJeff wrote:................and 8 years prior,

greg_pittstown
Mar 30, 2006

It's Alive!!!!

Much like a tree that grows from a small seed, Joralemon Park now stands tall. I can only imagine how it feels for the earlier generations to reap the fruit it now yields.

I look forward to seeing the growth continue as more seeds are planted.

B_Lynch
Intermediate

Post by B_Lynch » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:26 am

I first played J Park in the summer of 2007 when I first worked at Bethlehem. I was shown the course by another teacher there who now lives in New Hampshire. I know I made him show me the course before I left the school district.

The next school year I worked at Nisky so I wasn't a regular at the park, but I did play a couple more times on the weekends with the teacher from Bethlehem.

I didn't start playing dubs until 2009 which would explain why I am showing up as starting that year.
PDGA# 43429

I like a game where you are rewarded for being subpar

Skizzle
Intermediate

Post by Skizzle » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:32 am

i officially joined in 2009 [#99 on the website ]
i was at PIA Sports shopping for ski equipment and was trolling around the cash register waiting for my purchases to be rung up when i noticed a scorecard for Joralemon Park in Ravena Disc Golf Course
i was immediately interested, as i used to enjoy throwing Frisbee (i.e. "frolf" with my friends; we would pick out our own holes and throw at trees you know) and also the park was close to where i lived.
I had actually been to the J with my son before there even was a disc golf course, so i was familiar with it. We played on the swings and walked in the east side woods.
This time went back to Joralemon armed with Frisbees and ready to play the course.
When we got there and made our way to the first tee i remember there were a couple of dudes there who looked like they were working on the tee pad..i think they were moving stuff around.
They introduced themselves as Jzip and Scuba Shad...?????
They scoffed at our Frisbees saying "it'll take you a while to get around the course with those. You need to get some discs" I didnt even know what 'discs' were at the time.
they told me about the website and i think i signed up soon after. They had nicknames so i figured that i needed one...hence Skizzle was born
my first time playing disc golf was with my cousin in Virginia. I was truly awful but my cousin showed me how to flick at least
on my first trip back to J park with my own discs i met some other people and Tim J was the first to show me something about how to putt
one of my first times playing i remember playing with B Lynch and him just telling me way too much information...'hyzer'-this and 'anhyzer'-that..and telling me every other thing about disc golf that i had no idea. I had no idea what he was talking about because i didnt know what the hell a 'hyzer' was! I wish i had, then maybe i could have learned a lot :)
and i do remember meeting Kevin Rounds one of my first times out and he said that i was hooked and he could tell, again, i didnt know what he was talking about
when i started playing the J, the woods holes on the west side had been vacated so i never got to play them, but there were a couple other holes that were a little different at that time compared to what they are now...7 and 22
my first event was the Ace Race at Joralemon in 2009
i took my time coming to the sport and i have taken my time learning, but i think my enthusiasm has steadily increased over time
i am thankful for discovering a hobby that i enjoy [and is a great way to get outside and get some exercise], a wonderful course, and i am thankful for all of the wonderful people that i have met over the years...these discappers are my extended family
i think these stories highlight the fact that we didnt just discover a love of the sport..we discovered a family of people that have that in common

Morgan
Discussion Pro

Post by Morgan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:13 am

Spring 2001 I could not find any disc golfers around here, so I put ads in Albany newspapers seeking disc golfers in the area to form a club. Bunch of people answered including the following:

Tom Prato and 3 other guys who were playing an object course in Washington Park in Albany on a regular basis for 20 years

Dan Rice and 2 other guys who were playing an object course in Crandall Park in Glens Falls

Steve at the Bixbie mansion in Bolton Landing where they had an object course (which now has chains!)

Greg Kurtz who had his golf discs in the closet for years collecting dust. He helped my build Hyzer Creek.

Matt DeAngelis who told me about the object course in Prospect park, Troy he was playing with his girlfriend.

Bunch more people, I made a list of email addresses and got people started, this group later was the UNYDGA and then DisCap.
Last edited by Morgan on Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. B
Rookie

Post by Mr. B » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:37 pm

Lived in Saratoga til 2004, moved to Michigan, First time out friends took us to Hudson Mills Disc Golf Course in Michigan in 2005.

Moved back to NY in 2007. Took a friend to Jpark either that summer or 2008, can't remember.

Registered on the forum Wed May 07, 2008, User #116. Lost my password on that account. :( memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=116

Second child born April 2012, with 3 months of paid paternity leave I picked Disc Golf back up. Have some pics of J-Park the day before the 2012 Tourney I've recently re came across.

Played Disc Jam tourney in 2014 at Barre Falls. Did terrible.

Buddy and I played pretty occasionally for a few years. Tore my ACL in Summer 2015 which put me out for a year. Slowly ramped back up the activity by the following summer.

By 2017, two new friends got really into disc golf. One of those years I did the Tumble Down tourney up in VT.

By 2018 we basically started playing once if not twice minimum a week. Stopped laughing at dudes with huge backpacks full of 20+ discs. Got more familiar with all the terms etc.

By the beginning of 2019 I started buying more discs and replaced nearly everything in my bag. Finally played first actual sanctioned tournament and coming out to monthlies. Waited til October to register for PDGA. Registered, waitlisted myself for Battle of Saratoga. Found out I was in the night before, drove up and won Rec division. Started playing more monthlies, more tourneys.

Now 2020, got my discap membership and tag, practicing my putts everyday and looking forward to this weekend's kick off of my sanctioned season. Think I'll be able to squeeze off 9 local-ish tournaments this year and really looking forward to continued progress. Really focusing on the mental game at this point and letting each throw be thrown. Always be throwing!

So it's been nice. Been around a while, but only really started taking things more serious last 2-3 years.
@bickersmith