Central Park DGC Work Day - 7/14/13 9am

2010 - Schenectady NY
jZip
Discussion Pro
Central Park DGC Work Day - 7/14/13 9am

Post by jZip » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:36 am

Central Park DGC Work Day – 7/14/13, 9am

Calling all Capital Region Disc Golfers! Come join DisCap in some maintenance and improvement of Central Park DGC.

All the labor that goes into this course is done by us, the players. This is how you pay back for all those wonderful (and sometimes not so wonderful) rounds of Disc Golf you play at Central Park.

There is a long list of tasks that need to be accomplished before the Play It Again Open on August 3rd.

We will be out on the course for a few hours prior to our monthly bag tag challenge doing all sorts of work. You don’t need any special skills or tools to join us, just a love for the game and a willingness to give back. If you can handle a broom or push a wheel barrow you can help.

We will be improving tees, cutting brush, laying OB markers, spreading wood chips around the baskets, and more. Please come help us.

Bring work gloves if you’ve got them. We will provide as many tools as we can, but if you can bring any of the following please do: push brooms, shovels, rakes, hand clippers, loppers, wheel barrows.

If you have any questions contact Kenji Cline – DisCap President, or Jeff Zipkin – DisCap Secretary
Be WE

Nykdman1
Novice

Re: Central Park DGC Work Day - 7/14/13 9am

Post by Nykdman1 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:53 am

I usually work until 1:00 on Sundays, but if you'll be there in the afternoon, I'll be 10 minutes away in work jeans and gloves already.
Nicholas D'Amato
PDGA #84217

Fight or Flight? My discs say 'BOTH, Fight with Flight'!

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Noon tee off for the monthly. Workday from 9-12. I will probably be out earlier than 9 if any other early birds want to help out.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

victorswint14
Intermediate

Post by victorswint14 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:47 pm

I work until 7am depends how tired I am and if I need sleep
Stretch

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:13 pm

Ever wonder what some of us mean when we refer to one another as "They"? (See Kenji's avatar)
This is an excerpt from a post by user 'optidiscic' on dgcoursereview...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am THEY
Just wondering if anyone here is one of a handful of volunteers or perhaps the main laborer/caretaker at their course and had this conversation with a random DGer on their course. You know the one it usually goes something like this:
"They need to maintain this course better"
"They need to do something about the tee pads here"
"They need to cut the grass"
or my all time favorites
"They need to clean up the thorns where I lost my disc along fairway such and such"
"They need to build a bridge over that creek"
"They need better signs, short tees"

I always keep my lips shut but I wonder what my actual expression is doing as I am the "they" that these people criticize..............

.............I also love when you are out sweating your ass off covered in cuts from thorns and your alone and clearing schule and some drunk yahoo says something like...."hey you guys need to clear that crap to the left on hole 3 about 150 feet in I always lose my disc in there"

One day perhaps THEY will snap and let these types have it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You too can be THEY...in fact, let's turn THEY into WE. Join us at the CPS workday this Sunday (7/14) at 9am. And you can always be WE on your own...bring a trash bag and pick up trash during your round, remove fallen branches from fairways, build a bench, fix a bridge, etc. WE are wholly responsible for the maintenance and improvement of our courses. WE will all benefit from the work WE do. Let's not leave it up to THEY any longer.
Be WE

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:02 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: I am They 8-)
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

victorswint14
Intermediate

Post by victorswint14 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:02 pm

I will be out tomorrow if it does not rain sweeping pads and doing little stuff maybe I'll play a round but with my schedule I may not be able to help with the work day so I will do what I can when I can
Stretch

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:38 am

I'd like to thank the few who came to help.

Larry Millen, Gene, Matt B, and Braxton as well as Kenji (of course) and myself busted ass in the heat for a few hours and made some improvements on 18, 5, 10, and 8.

A few (or many) more sets of hands would have been very helpful. Please consider joining us for our next work day. Remember, all the work that goes into the courses is done by us. If WE don't do it, no one will, and WE will no longer have playable courses.

We will likely have another work day prior to the PIAO. Please find the time to come pitch in.

And whether you can make an official work day or not, you are always welcome to do some work on your time. If you have any questions as to what needs to be done contact Kenji or myself. We have a list of tasks we'd like to accomplish prior to the PIAO. and you can always do a little clean up while playing, i.e. tie a trash bag to your DG bag and fill it up during a round (unfortunately not hard to do at Central Park), pick up fallen branches, etc.
Be WE

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:06 am

Anything specifically that needs to be done before the PIAO?
Repaint/replace OB stakes/rope?
Tees? Gravel or mulch for new 18 white?
2019-2020 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112