Disc Stolen Right Infront of Me

2010 - Schenectady NY
monopolyrulz
Disc Stolen Right Infront of Me

Post by monopolyrulz » Mon May 06, 2013 8:15 pm

I am new to the boards however I have been playing mainly in CPS for the last few years. Until now I have chosen to stay off of these boards because I have found that the people I run into playing in the park are a little too serious about some of the rules, and some even a little odd. That being said they have all still been extremely nice to me and my group, that is until today.
Let me start by saying that I do not write my name and # in my discs, I choose not to do this because mainly I do not want strangers having my info.
Now on to the events that unfolded this afternoon- when starting on hole 1 with my brother, there was an odd fellow practicing driving from the whites ( I am assuming it was practice because he must have thrown 20 discs) He let us play so at the time I did not think much about it, that is until hole 18. By this time my brother and I had run into someone else playing, so we decided to play 18 together. This same odd guy from #1 was now practicing putting (with the same 20 discs, maybe he has not heard of putters) We waited for him to gather his discs and he waved for us to throw. I was the first to drive, it was one of my best shot and happened to land about 20ft or so from the hoop, before the rest of my group could even throw the old man grabbed my drive, and quickly ran off to his car! I chased him down yelling asking if he may have picked up my disc on accident, he asked me what kind it was, and then said no. At this point I see it in his bag so I point it out to him, he said that I should really write my name on it. My response to him was that if all of his disc had his name(which they did) then why would he take the one that did not. I ended up just grabbing it from him and walking away because I did not want to escalate the encounter, and honestly it has been bothering me all evening so much so that I finally created my account here to let you all know of this.
I am not really sure what to do, but I had to let everyone know.
BEWARE OF THE BEARDED DISC THIEF

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Re: Disc Stolen Right Infront of Me

Post by MichiganJeff » Mon May 06, 2013 8:26 pm

Unfortunately the course being at a public park attract all kinds of people. Your description of this persons actions with your disc is not what we DisCap members want to be a part of. Feel free to elaborate with any more details that would help us find this person.

Description of his car?
Hair color?
2019-2020 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Mon May 06, 2013 8:41 pm

Speaking of unmarked discs, you wouldn't happen to have lost a yellow Innova disc in the past few months?
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

mstryker
Intermediate

Post by mstryker » Mon May 06, 2013 9:20 pm

I confess!!! I'm the 'odd fellow', 'odd guy', 'old man', 'the bearded thief'.

Though from my perspective, the circumstances are a bit different than it may have seemed to the poor unfortunate fellow who's disc I picked up by mistake.

I was practicing approach shots on 18. I threw 5 Flicks and 4 Back hands. Heidi and another Discap member (can't remember his name) were also practicing their puts at the time.

When we saw the monopolyrulz and his group at the tees we cleared the area by the basket. I picked up monopolyrulz disc by mistake. It was an Orange Blizzard Boss very similar to one I had been practicing with. Because I was in a hurry to clear the basket area, I didn't look close enough and retrieved the wrong disc. I certainly didn't rush off with some ill gotten stash. I did limp off to my parked car with the wrong disc.

When monopolyrulz approached me to ask if I'd picked up his disc, I asked him what type of disc and found out my error. I didn't say 'no' when he asked, I looked to see if I had picked-up his disc. I apologized abjectly, profusely, sincerely and at length.

I then went to look for the Bizzard I must have left behind and approached his group and asked if they had inadvertently picked-up one of my discs. All of which have my name on them.

monopolyrulz indignation and misinterpretation of events, as well as his derogatory characterizations of my visage (my Eddie Baurer hat is a bit weird, but it keeps my balding pate cool) and actions, are a bit overwrought, paranoid and hysterical. I wasn't abducting his 1st born child. It was a $15 disc. I hope my explanations herein will save monopolyrulz from PTSD. IT WAS AN HONEST MISTAKE. REALLY SORRY!!!!!

BTW. monopolyrulz I suggested that you put your name and number in your discs, because honest people, like myself, will call the owners of found discs and arrange for their return.

PeteD
Intermediate

Post by PeteD » Mon May 06, 2013 10:28 pm

I'm just enjoying the image of Mark quickly running off to his car :lol: On a serious note, there are many players who don't like putting their name and phone number on their discs. But you could put an email address instead. Wonder if Ilostmydisc@emailserver.com is still available?
PDGA #50589

Scoontar
Discussion Pro

Post by Scoontar » Tue May 07, 2013 3:26 am

Until now I have chosen to stay off of these boards because I have found that the people I run into playing in the park are a little too serious about some of the rules, and some even a little odd.

Let me start by saying that I do not write my name and # in my discs, I choose not to do this because mainly I do not want strangers having my info.

After reading these 2 sentences, you can tell this Monopoly is the odd one.

Due to your complete misunderstanding of this situation-This is what compelled you to finally create an account, make an idiotic post-insult players you don't know, and accuse a club member of stealing a disc? Nice way to introduce yourself.
Last edited by Scoontar on Tue May 07, 2013 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marc Ox
Intermediate

Post by Marc Ox » Tue May 07, 2013 5:24 am

Has anyone seen this man....... :character-oldtimer:
Pdga# 54859

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Tue May 07, 2013 5:45 am

How about taking the high road and not joining in the name calling? Typically it leads to another bout of internet bitchfest which I'm sure we could all do without. If this guy chooses to berate others and essentially ostracize himself from the entire group that is his prerogative. I for one will be certain to steer clear of this 'gentleman' if I am ever to meet him.

Those of us who know Mark certainly are not going believe this tale as it was told. Funny thing was, when I first read the post I thought the story sounded a little weird, "really, a fellow disc player grabbed your disc, ran to his car, and tried to drive off with it?", and then wondered if the odd bearded fellow might have been Mark. Sorry Mark, you were the first one to come to mind based on the description ;). Mark's explaination certainly seems a heck of a lot more plausible than him grabbing some stranger's disc and running on his cartiledge-free knee to his car to commit the crime of the century.

On a bright note, Mark got to flex his vocabulary muscles as we got to read another of his near-poetic posts.
Be WE

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Tue May 07, 2013 5:47 am

PeteD wrote:I'm just enjoying the image of Mark quickly running off to his car :lol: On a serious note, there are many players who don't like putting their name and phone number on their discs. But you could put an email address instead. Wonder if Ilostmydisc@emailserver.com is still available?

But what if a spam bot is patrolling the disc golf course?! Jeez Pete, you're so naive.
Be WE

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Tue May 07, 2013 5:53 am

First person I thought of was Mark because he's the only bearded guy that's out there all the time. Glad to see this was a innocent misunderstanding. Thanks for clearing it up, Mark.
The visual of Mark "running off to his car" is truly comical. :lol:

As for monopolyrulz, aka Todd, you REALLY need to work on your internet delivery........ the immature way you speak to people will win you no friends in life.
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Tue May 07, 2013 5:58 am

Shut up MichiganJeff you poopyhead!
Be WE

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Tue May 07, 2013 5:59 am

jZip wrote:Shut up MichiganJeff you poopyhead!
:obscene-buttsway:
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

Greg
Discussion Pro

Post by Greg » Tue May 07, 2013 6:58 am

This story tops the "Gloversville Ice Cream War" :lol:
Crazy life in the Park.
I'm sorry Monopolyrulz for the misunderstanding.
As a group we're good folks and generally running is not in our vocabulary.
Mark is a good guy and taking your disc is not what he meant to do.
Classic story that will be retold many times. now move along, nothing to see here

mstryker
Intermediate

Post by mstryker » Tue May 07, 2013 8:04 am

Thank you all for your understanding. I had a sleepless night wondering if I would become shunned by my fellow Discappers, an outcast pariah, left to wander the woods in Central Park Schenectady. The stuff of legends that mothers tell there children so that they eat all their peas and asparagus. A cautionary tale, used on pre-schoolers to get them to put down their ipads and read books.

I was grateful that monopolyrulz showed admirable restraint and didn't mention that I am portly, bandy-legged, duck-footed, hirsute, with a recessive lack of melanin in the stroma of my irises (which have been described as being: piercing, highly intelligent, and causing the immediate release of oxytocin in Septuagenerian women, e.g Blue Eyes, which in the right light look mysteriously viridescent.)

He also neglected to mention that my blue knee-brace didn't really match my mauve-ish tee shirt, and that I look like a Hobbit/Dwarf abomination, or a porcine-like Gollum. Or that I idolize, and aspire to emulate, the success and woodsy good looks of my favorite 'brother from another mother' emoticon :character-oldtimer:

Post Script. I did ask them to look to see if they had picked up a disc with the initials 'MGS' on the top and my name, 'Mark Stryker' and phone number written on the bottom. Not a very good MO for a disc bandit.

I wonder if inadvertently purloined discs experience Stockholm syndrome, or can be cured of their subsequent erratic behavior (never go where I want them to) through Janovian Primal Therapy? :crying-green: It's a real head scratcher. :confusion-scratchheadblue:
Last edited by mstryker on Tue May 07, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

stripedcomic
Intermediate

Post by stripedcomic » Tue May 07, 2013 8:05 am

I'm trying to look at this from Monopoly's point of view. He, not knowing Mark, has no basis for thinking Mark wasn't doing it maliciously. I may have thought the same thing if I saw someone hanging out on hole one when I started, and around 18 when I finished. Although (and I'm sorry in advance Mark for saying this), if someone like Mark took my disc, I would likely have fallen on the "he's an older, confused man" theory, instead of the "he's stealing for fun and profit" theory. :-P

I've lost plenty of discs in the past, and I will go out of my way to say, Mark is the only person that's ever called me to return one. But, I do sympathize with Monopoly. I can see how if you don't know someone, and they were to take your disc when you throw, you would think "hey, they're trying to steal my disc".

My resolution to the scenario? I think Mark and Monopoly should play a round together. Hammer out those hard feelings the way men in upstate New York should... by throwing little bits of plastic towards a basket.

nyrblue2
Intermediate

Post by nyrblue2 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:05 am

monopolyrulz wrote:20ft or so from the hoop

I lol-ed.

I don't mean to pile on, but c'mon man. Pretty much everybody on this board knows Mark and knows that there is precisely 0% chance of the situation as you described it happening with him. Please be sure to think about how you present a story like this if you want a positive reaction. The members of DisCap and the frequent posters on this forum are an honest, helpful group and would not steal your disc and run.

You should join dubs on Thursday afternoons at 5:30. You'll meet a lot of good people, have a good time and if you're relatively new, you'll get paired with one of the best players around here. As for being "a little too serious about some of the rules", why are there rules if they weren't meant to be followed? While I don't know which ones you're specifically talking about, many rules are for safety reasons. Yes, some are just etiquette and standardization, but we're just trying to correctly promote the game. If you were playing basketball at your local gym and there were violations for traveling, double-dribble, out of bounds, etc., it wouldn't seem so far-fetched to let them know about the rules, would it?

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Tue May 07, 2013 8:56 am

stripedcomic wrote:Although (and I'm sorry in advance Mark for saying this), if someone like Mark took my disc, I would likely have fallen on the "he's an older, confused man" theory

and this made me LOL. weird looks from coworkers.

guys, it seems as if this guy may be a repeat troll. jw pointed out to me that it's the same IP address as the guy who made the snide "buckets" comments regarding Blatnick. let a troll be a troll, just don't feed a troll and he will wither away.
Be WE

shad
Discussion Pro

Post by shad » Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 am

best thread ever :clap:

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Tue May 07, 2013 9:35 am

Oh this is the same troll that thinks pedophilia is funny. Lol what a p.o.s. To Todd, or Mr monopoly lover, or whatever your real name may be, Central Park is open to the public please feel free to enjoy the course. That is what we installed it for. I don't think you quite fit in here with us. What is the point of multiple user names and troll comments? We work really hard for no pay to provide disc golf to the capital region. I just have to ask why ostracize yourself from the people that provide disc golf to you?
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

meanwoo-gene
Intermediate

Post by meanwoo-gene » Tue May 07, 2013 1:49 pm

A pedophile and a little boy are walking in the woods, and it's starting to get dark. The boy say's to the pedophile, "I'm scared!"
The pedophile replies, "You're scared?! I have to walk back out of here by myself."
Ba dum bum!
Nothing is off limits in comedy. ;)

catsinger
Intermediate

Post by catsinger » Tue May 07, 2013 1:59 pm

I have had 2 kids run away with my disc before at cps. Never got it back. RIP my prized leopard :(