Central Park Tee Pads

2010 - Schenectady NY
Jhoff40
Intermediate
Central Park Tee Pads

Post by Jhoff40 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:44 pm

We are experimenting with what we can use in the wooded area and still keep it looking “natural”. We promised the local park users that we wouldn’t install concrete tee pads in the wooded park areas. This includes holes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7. If we keep these natural I am sure we won’t have a problem with using other options like the concrete block on 18 in the rest of the park. However, we need something that will keep the ground from wearing out where people pivot before they throw. We thought a rubber distress mat might be a perfect economical option. So far they have stayed in place and provided an extreme amount of grip.

Mich mentioned that they might not work on soft ground but we did not pack the ground under that mat when we layed it down. We will tamp the ground and completly level it if we install them permanently. We would probably also include a way to anchor them into the ground. They would also be larger than the 3 x 6 foot pad that is there now. We would be going with a 4 x 9 foot pad which should be plenty wide and long enough for the wooded holes mentioned above.

Now is the time to get your opinions out there if you think this is a good option or if you think something else would work better. We are looking to install these within the next couple of weeks. So get out there and throw on the sample one (hole 3 @ cp) and let us know what you think. Thanks.

Chris Martin
Intermediate

Re: Central Park Tee Pads

Post by Chris Martin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:11 pm

I noticed the pad on 3 blue's tee on Saturday. The ground was pretty wet and I thought the pad gripped nicely. Definitely better than natural.
Captain Lawrence Brewery

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:24 pm

I like the idea but want something more rigid. I used those pads in many restaurants i've worked at I don't think they'll be durable enough to last more than a season or 2. I've looked into cell pavers but not quite narrowed it down to a brand and price. Something like these. http://www.berkeysupply.com/grassroad-pavers.html
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:46 pm

that looks like an excellent option kenji
Be WE

Jhoff40
Intermediate

Post by Jhoff40 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:32 pm

Those pavers do look awesome but unfortunately they are so expensive. They are more than twice as much as concrete. Do you really think these rubber mats will wear out that quickly? In a kitchen they would be on a hard surface with somebody walking on them constantly. These are even thicker then the mats designed for disc golf. I do not think these will wear out that quickly.

I will install a full one on hole one and we can watch it along with the one on 3. If it shows any wear by the time of the Electric City Classic then Kenji is probably right and we will have to go with another option. Considering the several down pours today I was very impressed with how our tees were still pretty funtional. Some needed a serious raking but that will take me less than a minute for each one.

Im ready to install concrete pavers on three more. I think they should be 8, 10, and 12. We can also build some steps on 12. Then we can check the finances and see if we can keep on going. I guess our goal will be to have something in place on every blue tee by The Classic.

walker
Discussion Pro

Post by walker » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:17 pm

I liked that rubber pad thing. What if you left it in the ground, and covered it with an inch or so of the mulch? Maybe it will keep the mulch from dispersing while making it a more firm surface.

Concrete pavers will only work if you sink them in the ground. Tamp the ground, lay stone/gravel and tamp that, etc. The same you would for pouring concrete. We tried them on a hole at MCC. They started off great but eventually shifted. It was all uneven and a trip hazard. Maybe somebody with more experience knows how to do it better and could make it work.
Walker
PDGA#35267
http://love146.org

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:33 am

Jhoff40 wrote:Those pavers do look awesome but unfortunately they are so expensive. They are more than twice as much as concrete. Do you really think these rubber mats will wear out that quickly? In a kitchen they would be on a hard surface with somebody walking on them constantly. These are even thicker then the mats designed for disc golf. I do not think these will wear out that quickly.

I will install a full one on hole one and we can watch it along with the one on 3. If it shows any wear by the time of the Electric City Classic then Kenji is probably right and we will have to go with another option. Considering the several down pours today I was very impressed with how our tees were still pretty funtional. Some needed a serious raking but that will take me less than a minute for each one.

Im ready to install concrete pavers on three more. I think they should be 8, 10, and 12. We can also build some steps on 12. Then we can check the finances and see if we can keep on going. I guess our goal will be to have something in place on every blue tee by The Classic.

When you install the pad on 1 make sure you give it a firm base. Dig it out, put down gravel, cover with fines, tamp it really well. For those pads to work we need to have a firm base underneath it. I can help do the install.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

Ghost33
Intermediate

Post by Ghost33 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:12 pm

The Tee boxes at J park are great why not just use the same recipe at CPS. Having better bridges not a big deal but improving the tee boxes is a huge deal! SOme of the boxes yesterday were mud pits. Espically 10!

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:52 pm

Ghost33 wrote:The Tee boxes at J park are great why not just use the same recipe at CPS. Having better bridges not a big deal but improving the tee boxes is a huge deal! SOme of the boxes yesterday were mud pits. Espically 10!
We can't just roll in with gravel and start construction...... at the time of initial installation the city would only allow natural tees in most areas. We're hoping to revisit this and get more that look like 8 & 18.

Most of the tees at J-Park are FIVE years in the making.
2019-2020 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

Ghost33
Intermediate

Post by Ghost33 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:02 pm

I give you guys alot of credit. THings are sooooo slow moving with these courses. I would have no patience.

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks Larry! I like your enthusiasm....... we'll need that energy as soon as the work days start at J-Park.
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Ghost33 wrote:I give you guys alot of credit. THings are sooooo slow moving with these courses. I would have no patience.

Welcome to the world of public property, municipalities, and politics. We all wish things would go quicker. But glad they allow us to use the land!
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

Ghost33
Intermediate

Post by Ghost33 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Hey it looks like there was or is some gravel rocks on Tee #10..... None the less tee 10 is in rough shape right now. Worst tee box on the course. Id say 15 out of the 18 tee boxes are in good shape right now.

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:16 pm

We did lay some gravel in #10........ the main issue at CPS is that the soil is very sandy and and loose material we lay down will sink in pretty quickly.
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

Ghost33
Intermediate

Post by Ghost33 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:34 am

I see. Thats make perfect sense now that rocks arent a good option. well look forward to seeing improvements soon.

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:44 am

i hope you mean you look forward to helping us make improvements.
Be WE

Cypress Will
Discussion Pro

Post by Cypress Will » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Schedule the work day Mr. Secretary.

Ghost33
Intermediate

Post by Ghost33 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:57 pm

I dont mind helping but it will be tough for me to be there seeing how i have a family and two jobs.

Kevin Rounds
Advanced

Post by Kevin Rounds » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:05 pm

Yes Ghost33....you will be helping come work day.....many hard hours by many hard workers have allowed you to enjoy these awesome courses....you will be there sweating with the rest of the boys...not tough to be there...just be there

shad
Discussion Pro

Post by shad » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:48 am

Kevin don't scare away the (potential) help with your crotchetiness.

Ghost33
Intermediate

Post by Ghost33 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:05 am

Like a said Family and work comes before disc golf so we will see. For the next 3 weeeks im available after that my availabililty will be next to nothing. So as long as u start working before the start of april i should be able to work all day. Once april hits i wont even have time to play.