HELP! Somebody stole my laptop, briefcase, wallet 8/26

2010 - Schenectady NY
HoosickTony
Intermediate
HELP! Somebody stole my laptop, briefcase, wallet 8/26

Post by HoosickTony » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:36 am

Hi all,

I've got a real serious problem. Someone broke into my car yesterday after dubz when I went in the woods to help Dave look for his lost disk. The car might have been unlocked, but I'm not sure.

I'm missing

A. my wallet (no biggie, license, $200 cash, credit cards, and ATM cards that I cancelled within a half an hour, and the wallet was a $5 KMart special)

B. My briefcase (BIG deal, had my USB flashdrives for the past five years of work attached, my teacher's edition of my Physics text, dvd-roms with my curriculum project, and my lesson plan book from last year)

C. My laptop computer (HUGE FREAKING DEAL, had all of my backup files with me so I could transfer things to my school computer (was going to stop on my way home), and I had my external hard-drive in the case so I don't have a copy of anything on the computer anymore)

Basically I've been reduced to the files that I transfered to the school computer when I came here three years ago, along with anything I've saved here, which isn't all that much. And I'm a writer too, and I've lost three novel rough drafts, about fifteen short stories, five articles I wrote, and every test, handout, and lab activity I've designed in the past two years.

If you see any evidence of this stuff dumped near the parking lot, PLEASE PLEASE pick it up.

Tony Malikowski
527-6578
Trust me, I'm a science teacher. I know the meaning of fear.

PDGA#54361

Ven
Discussion Pro

Re: HELP! Somebody stole my laptop, briefcase, wallet 8/26

Post by Ven » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:59 am

Ouch! I have been wondering about the security at that parking lot. Keep us posted, especially if you find out if your car was open or forced open. Hopefully everything will work out. Good luck.

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:06 pm

omg, that is awful tony! i'm so sorry. i assume you have filed a police report. if not, do so immediately. if you have your laptop s/n that would help. in the off chance the thief tries to sell it to a pawn shop i know that by law the pawn shop has to take ID and at least in WA state had to report all sales to the police to cross reference with their stolen items database. i imagine its the saem here in NY.
best of luck.

I F#^@&%G HATE THIEVES!!!!

for the rest of us, let's use this as a warning LOCK YOUR CAR AT CPS AND DO NOT LEAVE VALUABLES IN SIGHT!! because there are apparently plenty of douchebag thieves in the area. (just ask the hoffmans)

could someone take a drive by the area this evening and check the shrubs around the parking lot? JW, Hoffs?? Tony, where exactly where you parked?

again, i'm so sorry tony. i hope at the very least you can recover your files somehow.
Be WE

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:08 pm

i wonder if it is possible to track a computer via it's s/n when it goes online. anyone know if that's possible?
Be WE

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:09 pm

Wish i'd have known a bit earlier.....i was out for lunch.

I'll run by there after work and scope out the tall weeds & some of the trash cans.
2019-2020 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:11 pm

jZip wrote:i wonder if it is possible to track a computer via it's s/n when it goes online. anyone know if that's possible?

Tony probably has a password that prevents anyone from actually accessing any info. Unless the thief happens to be rather computer saavy, which i doubt.
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:12 pm

No sign of anything..... Looked in the tall brush all around the parking lot, under the steel bridge and several trash cans.
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

shad
Discussion Pro

Post by shad » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:09 pm

Tony can we get an update? Any leads? did you report this to the Schenectady PD?

HoosickTony
Intermediate

Post by HoosickTony » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:29 am

Hi all,

Just got back from Boston (visiting my brother, buying new computer, buying new peripherals, venting my frustration :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: , getting some sympathy :crying-blue: , trying to forget :obscene-drinkingdrunk: , etc.)

Sorry for the delay, but of course I didn't have a computer, so I had to wait...

I filed a report on the theft minutes after it happened, and lucky for me I carry my cell phone in my disc bag because they didn't find it. I lost a wallet (pure stupidity) back in February, so I had all of my card info and important numbers on my phone (and printed out on a piece of paper at home too). My credit cards and ATM cards were useless to our thief or thieves about a half an hour after I got ripped off, even before I filed the report at the police station.

I went back Friday to search the area and to play a round so I could check the trails and think about something other than how f*&#ed up this school year is going to be, but all I found was a single paper out of my laptop case. My phone book does not have any listings for pawnshops in Schenectady (lots in Albany, none in Schenectady, go figure). If anyone knows where the thief might have gone with the stuff, let me know.

On Saturday I remembered that in a fit of geek lust I bought a $250 netbook that I used on a trip or two then gave up on because it was too slow and didn't have enough memory to function. I checked the drives on the control panel and found two little micro-SD slots that I'd forgotten about and lo and behold I found that I saved all of my writing up to 2010 in one of those two itty bitty cards... including my first novel edit, three other novel rough drafts, a mess of short stories, a batch of articles I'd published, and all of my journal entries up to January 1st of 2010 :happy-wavemulticolor: . It's really helped my outlook to find that I haven't lost all of my creative output from the last three years on top of losing my workplace output. The work stuff, well, teaching happens one day at a time, one class at a time, regardless of what you have in your filing cabinet, and I'm sure I'll get loads of support from my colleagues and my students when I tell why this year is going to be a little screwy.

My car insurance and my home insurance both have a $1000 deductible, in New York the car insurers can give you no more than $700 back on items in a car theft, and the value of the stuff stolen from my car was $1500-$2000, so I should get back about $500 to $700 eventually. This helps, but doesn't begin to pay for the hours and hours and HOURS AND HOURS of work I'm going to have to put in this year to generate new tests, lessons, hand outs, quizzes, letters to parents, permission slips, lab activities, spreadsheets, etc. etc. etc.

The only benefit I can see to this whole mess is that after this year I'm going to have a very good batch of new files for the 2011-2012 school year, and my back-up system is going to be f*&^ing bombproof.

And now the rest of you are well warned, LOCK UP YOUR STUFF AND LEAVE THE VALUABLES AT HOME, and if we keep our eyes open maybe we can catch the guy if he tries it again.
Last edited by HoosickTony on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PDGA#54361

nyrblue2
Intermediate

Post by nyrblue2 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:40 am

Glad to hear that there's at least some good news at the end of this crappy incident. Still pretty lame all around, but it's good you have a decent outlook on the whole thing. Hopefully the thief gets what's coming to him. Maybe we can all hide in the bushes this week, wait for somebody to try it again and then jump them... :D

Just curious, did you leave your car in the "main" lot when you went to disc-hunt, or did you drive down near basket #9? Where'd you find the paper?

HoosickTony
Intermediate

Post by HoosickTony » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:21 am

nyrblue2 wrote:Glad to hear that there's at least some good news at the end of this crappy incident. Still pretty lame all around, but it's good you have a decent outlook on the whole thing. Hopefully the thief gets what's coming to him. Maybe we can all hide in the bushes this week, wait for somebody to try it again and then jump them... :D

Just curious, did you leave your car in the "main" lot when you went to disc-hunt, or did you drive down near basket #9? Where'd you find the paper?

I left my car in the main lot, and it was the only car left in the lot when I returned.

The paper was on the ground about twenty feet away from my car, towards the bridge over the creek that leads to the dog park, and I found it on the edge of the bushes.

PDGA#54361

shad
Discussion Pro

Post by shad » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:00 am

well hey it's great that you were able to retrieve some of your creative writing work. that's great news! and like you said with teaching you have to try some different things this year and lean on your colleagues a little more. I'm sure you're going to have a great year regardless of this incident!

Also...I think Mike is right, maybe the gutless scumbag that did this is dumb enough to try again. So maybe we should watch the parking lot for awhile during dubs this week and next.

JonBotts
Rookie

Post by JonBotts » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:39 pm

Tony,

I'm glad to see you got at least some of your work back.

One thing you might consider in the future is backing things up online. I, and many of my colleagues, use Dropbox. It automatically syncs folders on one or many of your computers and also backs up everything online. It's a nice place to keep all of your work, even if you don't have multiple computers. Then if someone steals your computer, your hd crashes, or if you want to install a new os, you don't have to worry about physically backing things up. You can also share folders with others/collaborators, which I have found particularly useful.

I like it. You get something like 2 or 3GB for free, and if you refer people, you and the referee both get 250MB more, up to 8GB or something like that.

I don't mean for this to sound like a sales pitch, but it has been a pretty invaluable tool for my work the last few years.

Jon Botts

shad
Discussion Pro

Post by shad » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:43 pm

I agree with Botts that Dropbox is great. I use it with freinds to share music files. It works great but gets full real easy. You can pay for more storage space.