Poison Ivy Hole 13

2010 - Schenectady NY
swank
Rookie
Poison Ivy Hole 13

Post by swank » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:25 am

Hi...

Course is looking great. Love the tee signage, etc. You guys did an awesome job!

One thing I noticed is the huge patch of poison ivy near the white tee on hole 13. My buddy, who's pretty new to this, shot poorly from the blue tee and landed right in it. I made him wash my discs in soapy water when he got home....

I know, I know, he just needs to learn to drive properly... :)

Seriously, although I'm usually against herbicides and things except as a last resort, I'm thinking this is such a big nasty patch that maybe we need to do something about it. I wonder if we might be able to convince the parks people to spray it or something?

Ven
Discussion Pro

Re: Poison Ivy Hole 13

Post by Ven » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:32 pm

Mowing or weed whacking Poison Ivy stops it from growing in a while.

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Ven wrote:Mowing or weed whacking Poison Ivy stops it from growing in a while.

...but VERY LETHAL because you'd kick up the dust and inhale it. Same goes for burning it.
2019-2020 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

Jhoff40
Intermediate

Post by Jhoff40 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:42 pm

I happened to land by the white tee on 13 and I currently have Poison ivy all over me. :evil: It sucks. I was wondering where I got it from but now I know.

Does anybody know if a gallon of Round-Up plant killer will get rid of it? Im ready to get my revenge.

Jhoff40
Intermediate

Post by Jhoff40 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:17 pm

Ok, Round-Up makes a poison ivy killer. I am going to attack it as soon as I can. Please post other areas where poison ivy is spotted so we can work on killing it. Even the dead leaves still have the oils on them so be aware.

Ven
Discussion Pro

Post by Ven » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:13 am

MichiganJeff wrote:
Ven wrote:Mowing or weed whacking Poison Ivy stops it from growing in a while.

...but VERY LETHAL because you'd kick up the dust and inhale it. Same goes for burning it.

I've never had a problem from airborne PI oils when mowing or weed whacking it. The one time I weed whacked it, I took extreme protective measures, including a dust mask. I mow it often. It keeps showing up in different areas, but has not come back where I have mowed it repeatedly. It took about a summer to eradicate it. I have also wiped out PI by covering it with an old tarp for a couple months.

swank
Rookie

Post by swank » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:15 am

A gallon sounds like it will be enough...I'd check the spread on it, though. I'd guess that patch was at least 15' x 20'.

I agree that it could be cut if you take measures...I had to run a chain saw through poison oak out west. Somehow I avoided all but a small rash, even though I had leaves and bark all over me. And I'm very susceptible to this kind of stuff....I'm sure it was because of gloves, long sleeves/pants, and TechNu. Technu makes a lotion you put on before you might come in contact and post-wash you use afterwards. It seemed to really work.

That said, I'm all for the Round-Up!!! :twisted:

swank
Rookie

Post by swank » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:19 am

FYI, if you're not sure what Posion Ivy looks like, check it here (the hole 13 patch looks very much like this, a nice mature carpet of this crap):

shad
Discussion Pro

Post by shad » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:57 am

not to brag or anything but it doesn't affect me anymore. got a bunch of times as a kid and must have become immune. I think a good idea would be to carry a small bottle of hand sani in your bag and if your disc goes in the shinola then wipe it off and your hands. it's the oil from the leaves that has the poison in it. also LONG SOCKS!

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:21 am

when i was getting my Wilderness First Aid certification the instructor returned after lunch with 8 different looking plants. all of us had some degree of Environmental Science background, many (including myself) with some botany courses under our belts. he asked us to identify which of the samples were poison ivy. we agreed that maybe 4 of them were poison ivy. turns out all 8 were. he informed us that the leaves can take on different structures and patterns based on habitat and conditions. while the above picture does show the most common form of the stuff it is not the only one. this example shows the standard spear shaped leaf, however the leaved can take on a multi-lobed apprearance, sort of like what you think a typical ivy leaf looks like.

be careful if it does affect you, the stuff can be nasty (right Tim?). also, i do know of one case where a person ended up in the ER after (inadvertently) burning the stuff and (unintentionally) inhaling the smoke.
Be WE

shad
Discussion Pro

Post by shad » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:26 am

I knew a girl in HS who went for a pee in the woods during a party. she grabbed some leaves to whipe. guess what kind of leaves she grabbed?

shad
Discussion Pro

Post by shad » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:29 am

Cypress Will
Discussion Pro

Post by Cypress Will » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:10 am

jZip wrote:be careful if it does affect you, the stuff can be nasty (right Tim?). also, i do know of one case where a person ended up in the ER after (inadvertently) burning the stuff and (unintentionally) inhaling the smoke.

That happened to my uncle a while back. He pulled a whole pile of vines off his barn and burned them. Some of it was PI and he ended up in the ER as well. :-?

swank
Rookie

Post by swank » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:38 pm

Hey...I found some more PI today:

1. Hole 8, left hand side of fairway, across from tennis court. Decent size patch, little more than halfway to pin. Mixed in w/Virgina Creeper.
2. Small patch on hole 12, left hand side, very close to Pin. Mixed in w/Virgina Creeper.
3. Single plant on RH side of tee box hole 14. Get it while its small!!!!!

I was looking most of the time while we played, so I don't think we're too bad off.

Thanks, guys...appreciate all your hard work! Ps: New sign on tee for 16 is nice. Even with typo.

marty
Advanced

Post by marty » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:06 pm

swank-

I think I can speak for the CPS crew when and say: feel free to deal with the Ivy yourself... all help is appreciated

swank
Rookie

Post by swank » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:39 pm

I'm happy to help, Marty...I'm just responding to Justin. He said he'd be getting RoundUp and asked to post other areas where we spotted it. Not trying to pawn off work on others, just responding to the question as asked.

Jhoff40 wrote:Ok, Round-Up makes a poison ivy killer. I am going to attack it as soon as I can. Please post other areas where poison ivy is spotted so we can work on killing it. Even the dead leaves still have the oils on them so be aware.

Jhoff40
Intermediate

Post by Jhoff40 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:21 pm

That is a huge patch of Poison Ivy! I sprayed hole 13 but only around the edges. I wasnt brave enough to walk into the middle of it. We will see how it works before I spray more.

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:26 am

Jhoff40 wrote:That is a huge patch of Poison Ivy! I sprayed hole 13 but only around the edges. I wasnt brave enough to walk into the middle of it. We will see how it works before I spray more.

If you bring that round up on thursday I can hit that spot. I have no worries I don't get poison ivy.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

Jhoff40
Intermediate

Post by Jhoff40 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:42 am

You want to weed wack it? I think that would be the best way to kill it.

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:22 am

Jhoff40 wrote:You want to weed wack it? I think that would be the best way to kill it.

I'm thinkin' it'll just grow back fuller and bigger......... you gotta kill it at the roots if we want it gone for good.
2019-2020 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

Ven
Discussion Pro

Post by Ven » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:23 am

In my experience you have to keep weed whacking and/or mowing it, many times before it dies out. Or once it is weed whacked, cover with a dark tarp. I've tried mulching it and it just grows through the mulch. I have never tested wood chips as a mulch. I'll see if I have an old tarp. Or what about the rugs discarded near some tees at the J? Are they being saved for next winter or just wasted? They would work as a tarp.