CPS Course improvements, repair, additions, etc.

2010 - Schenectady NY
Petefitz
Intermediate
Re: CPS Course improvements, repair, additions, etc.

Post by Petefitz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:11 pm

I like 18's white tee A LOT!

closed
Advanced

Post by closed » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:26 pm

Wait when did 18 get a white tee? I've been out of the loop to long.

Petefitz
Intermediate

Post by Petefitz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:28 pm

I saw it for the first time today walking home from work. It's a short and an ace run. I kinda hope it stays and wasn't just for putter dubs.

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:20 pm

It is a new permanent white tee for 18. Installed yesterday.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

Mark
Rookie

Post by Mark » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Anybody know who chopped down all the foliage around the stream on hole 18?

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Yup. Me and Larry Millen.
Be WE

Mark
Rookie

Post by Mark » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:16 am

I think it is very disappointing that we are responsible for that. I don't think it is within our rights to butcher the park in that way. The foliage is for all the park residents to enjoy and that area looked much prettier before, especially for people not involved with disc golf. Removing all the foliage by the stream on 18, which is directly across from the rose garden, is a lot different than removing a fallen tree in the woods that presents a hazard. I know you will disagree, but I think it was not correct for us to chop all of that foliage down.

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:52 am

Mark, don't believe I know you. Welcome.
I imagine you are not aware that the entire field between the creek and the willow was once knee high weeds. We are the ones who cut them down and allowed the ground to dry up grass to take hold.
When you weedwack you leave a pile of carnage behind unless it is immediately mowed. It will either decompose or get mowed (or, you are welcome to rake it up and haul it off if your prefer). We have cleared the banks of that creek every year since installing the course. We certainly did not butcher the park, we cut weeds down, the majority of which were jewelweed, which make for ideal mosquito habitat. The mowers have always wanted to mow as close to the creek as they could, but since they couldn't tell if there were rocks there they went no closer. Perhaps now they can.
At the last Board of Directors' meeting we drew up a long list of tasks we wanted to accomplish prior to the PIAO. This was amongst them. When we met for the workday this past weekend we tackled this among other projects. You were welcome to join us. We certainly could have used your help.
We have proven to be exceptional stewards of the park and receive only praise from other users, including those that were skeptical upon first learning about the plans to install the course. I have personally organized trash pickup contests at the park in which disc golfers have collected thousands of lbs of trash.

I will be at the Beginner's Clinic this evening if you'd like to discuss this further. Otherwise, we invite you to get involved in DisCap. We are always looking for more active members.

In the future, I ask that you please be better informed before making such accusatory statements, and perhaps temper your tone. No harm done. Thank you for your concern.
Be WE

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:43 am

We have been trimming back those each year trying to allow the grass to grow to the stream edge. Granted it doesn't look the greatest now but as Zip stated that area was all high weeds and each year we trim it back to allow the grass to take over. We had only a few people show for our work day and thus the weeds only got cut but not cleaned up. This area will look better. We are only a small group that takes care of the course. I wish we had the time/funds/manpower to cut and clear the weeds and plant the grass. But we don't get enough help. So we take the slow approach by trimming the area back and allowing the mower to keep the area short after we have cleared it. It will hopefully eventually have a nice bridge in that area and allows an easier time for beginners that may throw their discs in those weeds to find their discs. I hope mine and Zips explanation to why we did the weedwacking helps you understand the reasoning behind it. Please we would love more help on our workdays to not have to leave the cut weeds down and rake them up but as many people use the course very few help maintain it.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

Mark
Rookie

Post by Mark » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:30 am

Hey thanks for the thoughtful replies. It is true that I wasn't aware that the entire field was knee deep in weeds before the course was installed. I personally feel that the growth around the stream was much prettier than it looks now, but your explanations make a lot of sense as well. I certainly appreciate all the work that you guys do to keep the course in good shape and have been impressed with it many times. I also agree (and considered after writing my post) that it would have been better if I offered my opinion in a way that showed the appreciation that I, and many others, have for all the work you guys do. While I wasn't happy with the look of the job around the stream, out of all the modifications you guys have done around the park, I couldn't think of anything else that I would complain about. Quite the contrary as a matter of fact. Regarding helping with some of what needs to be done, I am happy to lend a hand and think I have an obligation to do so, but it seems that you usually meet on the weekend mornings which is a time not usually available to me. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:51 am

Mark,
Thank you for your reply, and your kind words. We work very hard to simultaneously make the course playable, while maintaining its natural beauty. We appreciate your concern and perspective and are always open to input. I assure you, once those banks get mowed, and a little rain falls, the appearance will improve.

We are currently working to ready the course for the PIAO, which by the way, you should sign up for if you are available on Aug 3: http://discap.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=2425

Yes, we schedule our work days on weekends because most of us work typical business hours. If you'd like to lend a hand in your spare time let me know and I can let you know what needs to be done.

Also, if you are available on Thursdays evenings please join us for our doubles league. You will meet quite a few of the regulars, get partnered with a more experienced player, and learn while you have fun.

Thanks again.

Happy hucking,
Jeff
DisCap Secretary
Be WE

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:58 am

Anyone looking to do some work at CPS....

We are currently spreading woodchips around the baskets. We got 1-4 done on Wed eve during the Beginners' Clinic. All you need is a wheelbarrow, shovel and rake. I can loan you mine if you want to swing by my place (off rte 9 a bit north of Latham). Take a wheelbarrow or 2 to a pin and spread 'em in about a 6' circle. There are piles of chips at holes 1, 6, and 16. The pile on 6 should take care of holes 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. The one on 16 can go to 14, 15, 16, and 17...maybe 12 and 13 too. The one on 1, can be used for 18, 10, and 11.

Thanks for your help. Be WE.
Be WE

ShreddedCoconut
Intermediate

Post by ShreddedCoconut » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Anyone opposed to cutting up and dragging away a bunch of the dead wood down on 14 ( left side ) ? If I can I'll try to do it before the PIAO.

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:15 pm

ShreddedCoconut wrote:Anyone opposed to cutting up and dragging away a bunch of the dead wood down on 14 ( left side ) ? If I can I'll try to do it before the PIAO.

My opinion of that area is that it's hazardous with all the widow-makers leaned over and ready to fall.
I'd like to get the Parks guys out there to cut down all the dead wood and unsafe stuff.
2019-2020 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:09 pm

I would also not recommend doing it alone. This is something we can tackle on a workday with more eyes for safety and opinions on what should go. Some of the crap we want over there as part of the hole. If you fade out too much the piles of downed trees make good obstacles. I have some bench parts on that hole. If you want a chainsaw project benches on any hole that doesn't have them would be great. Let me know if you're interested and i'll show you where the parts are.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

ShreddedCoconut
Intermediate

Post by ShreddedCoconut » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Im just talking about stuff that is already down. Its a MF to find a disc over there because of all the downed trees and it looks like crap. I was just wanting to buck it up and move it away

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:36 pm

I agree it may be tough over there to find a disc thus why you should try to stay in the fairway. ;) I understand you mean the downed stuff but some is left there to not make a bad shot good. We can add this to the list of workday chores when more opinions are around and not worry about it for the PIAO. It's been like that since the course started and don't think it's a must do before the tourney.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

meanwoo-gene
Intermediate

Post by meanwoo-gene » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:14 am

ShreddedCoconut wrote:Anyone opposed to cutting up and dragging away a bunch of the dead wood down on 14 ( left side ) ? If I can I'll try to do it before the PIAO.

Josh,
If you're eager to do some cleanup work, come check out the Chatham course.
It's closer to home and there is plenty of work still to be done... especially if you have the tools for cutting and hauling downed trees.
The course is about as good as it's gonna get before the August monthly on the 17th. But after there will still be plenty of improvements to be made.

ShreddedCoconut
Intermediate

Post by ShreddedCoconut » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:19 pm

meanwoo-gene wrote:

Josh,
If you're eager to do some cleanup work, come check out the Chatham course.
It's closer to home and there is plenty of work still to be done... especially if you have the tools for cutting and hauling downed trees.
The course is about as good as it's gonna get before the August monthly on the 17th. But after there will still be plenty of improvements to be made.

:obscene-drinkingbeer: I def will. Trying to put my time to where it might need it most with deadlines. Once I get the short tees at J set I'll be making my mark in Chatham no doubt.

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:41 pm

16 blue got pavers, the white got the old carpet.
2019-2020 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

Greg
Discussion Pro

Post by Greg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:17 pm

Hole 16 I presume? Thanks guys!
Looks great, any frame?