CPS Basket Fundraising

2010 - Schenectady NY
MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!
CPS Basket Fundraising

Post by MichiganJeff » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:39 am

With the latest news from Justin, it appears we're on the way to another course installation in the area. This is the thread for discussion of fundraising for baskets.

I'll start off by putting up $20 for hole #1 and it would be great to have the entire first hole sponsored by DisCap.
2019-2020 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

Jhoff40
Intermediate

Post by Jhoff40 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:20 am

As of right now we are looking for 500$ a hole. That would get your name or business permanently on the sign and probably the basket. That will also give you a spot on the kiosk for an advertisement.

We already have three holes sponsored by just my family.

We are starting a non for-profit company to move the money through so that you can deduct all donations on your taxes.

Schenectady Disc Club, LLC

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:30 am

Jhoff40 wrote:As of right now we are looking for 500$ a hole. That would get your name or business permanently on the sign and probably the basket. That will also give you a spot on the kiosk for an advertisement.

We already have three holes sponsored by just my family.

We are starting a non for-profit company to move the money through so that you can deduct all donations on your taxes.

Schenectady Disc Club, LLC

Great move, Justin

If you're looking for local businesses that would contribute, my chiro is on Erie and he donates $$ every year to the Ice Bowl. I'm pretty sure he'd welcome the advertisment.

Dr. Tim Maggs
1462 Erie
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

walker
Discussion Pro

Post by walker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:31 pm

During our summer dubs league I purchased some beer and soda each week, filled a cooler. $2 beer (cheaper than a bar!) and $1 soda. In in 4 months or so I made about $450. Not sure what y'all do for winter league. Also doesn't J-park have a no alcohol policy? and there's that whole liquor license thing.... but, just a thought.

There's always CFR discs. Also discraft and innova have been known to grant money for good causes, especially if you're buying there baskets. Maybe other companies too. Can't hurt to ask.

You could ask all of the clubs (nrdg, nefa, skylands, etc.) to donate some cash. Good luck with that, but again, can't hurt to ask.

GRDGC has been working on the non-profit thing with a lawyer for over a year now. Unless you're a lawyer or know somebody who's a lawyer, that could be tough. It's a very complicated and involved process. Requires officers, constitution/bylaws, etc. Stop me if you know all this already.

I recommend getting a sort of 'press kit' together for the corporate sponsorship deal. I imagine several pages, complete with pictures, describing -what is disc golf -who is DisCap -the success of current courses -what's in it for the corporation -various levels of sponsorship, etc. This should be in a document easily accessible/attainable to any member who wants to solicit sponsorships, as well as easily customizable to specific companies if necessary. I've been meaning to get around to doing this for the rochester club.
Walker
PDGA#35267
http://love146.org

walker
Discussion Pro

Post by walker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:50 pm

there are lots of local business's in Schenectady. I would even try SCCC, Proctors, the Pizza King, hermie's music (still there?), nearby schools and churches, and other non-profits.
Walker
PDGA#35267

Ven
Discussion Pro

Post by Ven » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:03 pm

walker wrote:GRDGC has been working on the non-profit thing with a lawyer for over a year now. Unless you're a lawyer or know somebody who's a lawyer, that could be tough. It's a very complicated and involved process. Requires officers, constitution/bylaws, etc. Stop me if you know all this already.

My company http://www.bookkeepingwizards.com does this and it only takes a few weeks. Maybe the new regulations are slowing down your process. We don't even charge that much because our system involves getting the leaders of the volunteer organization to do a lot of the work via simple worksheets. We'd be glad to help organize any DGCs.

Stephen "Ven" Vardin 518-365-3157

Ven
Discussion Pro

Post by Ven » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:06 pm

talk to me about hole sponsorship for my company, too.
365-3157 practice with purpose

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Ven wrote:
walker wrote:GRDGC has been working on the non-profit thing with a lawyer for over a year now. Unless you're a lawyer or know somebody who's a lawyer, that could be tough. It's a very complicated and involved process. Requires officers, constitution/bylaws, etc. Stop me if you know all this already.

My company http://www.bookkeepingwizards.com does this and it only takes a few weeks. Maybe the new regulations are slowing down your process. We don't even charge that much because our system involves getting the leaders of the volunteer organization to do a lot of the work via simple worksheets. We'd be glad to help organize any DGCs.

Stephen "Ven" Vardin 518-365-3157

also, hoffdad is a lawyer. thx for your 'concern' walker, but please limit your advice to what you are knowledgeable about.

walker
Discussion Pro

Post by walker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:20 pm

i said 'stop me if you know all this already'. Sorry I didn't know what somebody I've never met did for a living. What do I do for a living Zip?

Why does everyone on this forum pick apart and twist everything I post when I'm trying to be helpful?
Walker
PDGA#35267

Greg
Discussion Pro

Post by Greg » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:56 am

Your input IS valued!!
All this Schd'y action is exciting

Ven
Discussion Pro

Post by Ven » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:21 am

walker wrote:i said 'stop me if you know all this already'.

Walker, I took your "stop me if you know ..." as an invitation to perhaps help you get it done, and to elucidate others.

Why does everyone on this forum pick apart and twist everything I post when I'm trying to be helpful?

It's not pick apart and twist, everyone just sees things differently. That's what these forums are about, being helpful. Keep typing....

Jhoff40
Intermediate

Post by Jhoff40 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:15 pm

We are so appreciative of everybody's advice and help with respect to the Central Park proposal. Please do not stop throwing ideas our way. We are grateful for the feedback, but I just want to throw some things out there in response to some of the concerns that I'm reading.

If we get approval, we won't be hurting for money. The Schenectady County Youth Bureau is going to pay for all 18 baskets, so even if we do not get any donations, we'll still be able to have a course. We are looking for sponsors to establish a club, buy top notch signage, and pay for all the little things including a kiosk and bridge. We'd also like to have enough money to be able to maintain the course if there happens to be any vandalism. I certainly do not want to discourage anybody from donating, but please don't feel obligated.

My father is an Attorney who specializes in business startup. One of the reasons we are able to start a non-for-profit club is because he is kind enough to donate his time to help us out. In the past, my father was also president of our Little League and our Basketball Club. He has a lot of experience with the fundraising aspects. He keeps telling me not to worry about money, so I want to pass that on to everybody else.

Again, thanks to everybody who has helped so far, and I am sure many more of you will be helping in the future. Keep thinking of businesses that you might be able to sell this to.

walker
Discussion Pro

Post by walker » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:43 pm

i'm not too familiar with Schenectady (even though I wen to school there), are there any local (non-chain) sports stores that could be convinced to donate, and even start selling discs?
Walker
PDGA#35267

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:49 pm

walker wrote:i'm not too familiar with Schenectady (even though I wen to school there), are there any local (non-chain) sports stores that could be convinced to donate, and even start selling discs?

Goldstocks Sporting Goods donated a gift card for CTP at last years' Ice Bowl. They're acutally just outside Scenectady in Glenville.
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:24 pm

and i would imagine play it again sports in nisky would consider it.

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:31 pm

jZip wrote:and i would imagine Play It Again Sports in Nisky would consider it.

Duh to me............ was just there last weekend and they COMPLETELY shuffled their shelves for winter sports EXCEPT for the golf disc display rack which is dead center in the middle of the store. :shock:
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

Ven
Discussion Pro

Post by Ven » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:27 pm

jZip wrote:and i would imagine play it again sports in nisky would consider it.

They already sell discs and bags. That's where I found out about J Park.

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:48 pm

we need to make a flyer or some scorecards and map combo to leave up there. Like a Jpark brochere.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

Jhoff40
Intermediate

Post by Jhoff40 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:07 pm

We have our first two hole sponsors (besides Hoffman Law Firm)!!!

The VanDyck and Pinheads

Grab a beer and thank them next time you are downtown!

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:18 pm

you guys are amazing.

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:35 pm

Pinheads has great food and a back room for post tourney get togethers(think Kisco last Sat) :wink:

VanDyck is a high class joint...... We're gonna have to clean up before we go there :P
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112