Hole 15 par

2010 - Schenectady NY
sambeard
Rookie

Hole 15 par

Post by sambeard » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:37 pm

Is there any good reason why hole 15 (616 foot dogleg right) is a par 4 from the blues? It's clearly a fair par 4 from the whites, but the landing zone from the blue tee puts you only about 50 feet in front of the white tee. I don't think I've never felt more helpless on a disc golf course than on my second shot on hole 15 at CPS. I played today, and threw my second shot as good as I think I could throw it. About 375' on a perfect line and didn't hit anything. I ended up under the giant bush with a difficult 80 foot, uphill, low ceiling approach (which I failed to execute, clipping a branch on the big tree. Doh!). I know there are guys who throw a lot farther than me, but truthfully when I look at that second shot, I don't even see a realistic line to the green. Even if I had elite National Tour level power, a flight path to the green would almost have to defy the laws of physics.

So I have a few questions:

1. Has ANYONE ever birdied 15 from the blues?
2. If so, was it a long throw in, or did they actually get within putting range in two shots?
3. What was the scoring average on 15 in the MPO division for the last few tournaments (or where can I look it up)?
4. Is there some play off the tee that can bite off some more distance down the fairway?

I'm interested to hear from some better players what they think about this hole. I'm not afraid to be wrong, so please don't be afraid to tell me if I am!

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Re: Hole 15 par

Post by MichiganJeff » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:09 am

I've birdied a couple times...... takes a huge tee shot over the trees or a well placed roller that makes it down the chute.

I MAY still have the scorecards from the Play It Again Open. I can dig around tonight.....
2019 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

sambeard
Rookie

Post by sambeard » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:57 pm

I appreciate the feedback. Super impressive that you have gotten 3 on that hole. I tried the roller yesterday, but I just barely clipped some leaves while it was still in the air, which kept it from turning the corner and making it down the chute. I tried again with another disc (just to see if I could even do it), and that time I over compensated and it wound up hitting the last tree on the right hand side and stopping dead.

When you say "over the trees", do you mean the ones by the path on the far side of the fairway? I can't even imagine throwing something that far with that late and sharp of a turnover. Massive forehand maybe? My forehand is not too good, but I've been working on it. Maybe we can play sometime and you can show me how it's done.

I thought about it more, and I considered that if 15 was a par 5 from the blues, then it would be arguably slightly easier relative to par than 15 white. If that is the reason, then I suppose it is logical in a way, even if I don't agree with it. To me, given the heroism required to get a 3, you should get credit for an eagle.

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:39 pm

Basically over 16s fairway. Incredible shot that I witnessed. Hit the small tree on the left as you head up toward the pin.

15 white is still a par 4 because of the skill level that normally play it at tournaments.
2019 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:07 am

I have birdied that hole a bunch. I have parked my 2nd shot a few times. Midrange (roc) off the tee, stable on an high anny line you want it to make the turn and then glide flat down the chute. Good shots get to the tree with the low branches that is the ceiling on the 2nd shot. From there I can put rollers to the green for birdie chances. It's a good par 4. Trick is use a slower disc off the tee imho. Drivers will fade too hard and end up in 16s fairway. I'm also a noodle arm with only about 300ft driving power.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:09 am

Big arms can go over the top of everything. Trip from CNY put his drive next to the lilac bush anny over the top of the pine trees to have an eagle run.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:12 am

I've also seen forehand cut rollers get all the way down near the black locust tree. Problem is if you dont put enough angle on them they can turn over into the park road. Tee sign still has just water ob, but leagues and tourneys play the road and beyond as ob.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

sambeard
Rookie

Post by sambeard » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:18 am

Wow. Thanks for the insight! If people are getting that drive down the chute in a repeatable way, then the hole is definitely a par 4, albeit a difficult one. I'm looking forward to going back and seeing what I can do. I'll probably try the overstable mid-range anny off the tee. I doubt I have the roller prowess to make the green, but if I can get 80-100 feet down the chute, I might be able to murder-crush a Ballista Pro to the green if I can find a line.

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:05 pm

Yes use something slower with good glide off the tee. Not something overstable as they tend to fade too hard. Something stable (straight).
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Roc, Buzzz or equivalent off the tee on a strong anhyzer, slightly nose up.
It should flatten out and glide down the chute.
If it fades out too quick you may get lucky and get a look over 16 white tee and back up to the pin.
Then its whatever you can crush out there on another anhyzer line. I choose the RHBH roller myself.
2019 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112