Woodstock Rocks Closed by Buildings Department

Closed but not forgotten.
Scoontar
Discussion Pro

Post by Scoontar » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:04 pm

I'm guessing it was the town, or Bill Dublier-he does not want anyone to play the course while the legal issues are pending.

I have posted on Skylands informing them of what has happened, and asking them not to play the course.

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:18 am

If it's somthing as petty as just them getting their fees for "permits", put me down for $50

Anyone else that wants to donate to the "Save the Rocks" Fund, PM me or see me out on the course.......
2019-2020 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

BigDave
Intermediate

Post by BigDave » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:31 am

Scoontar wrote:I'm guessing it was the town, or Bill Dublier-he does not want anyone to play the course while the legal issues are pending.

I have posted on Skylands informing them of what has happened, and asking them not to play the course.

It was Bill that asked for the course to be taken down on DGCR. Good thinking to do that. If it turns out some $$ will help get things squared away then I'm in for a small donations as well.

Good luck Bill

Scoontar
Discussion Pro

Post by Scoontar » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:42 am

You know I'll donate $50-$100.

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:04 am

Hey guys, I saw this on the CNY forum, and thought I would weigh in with my perspective:

I assume that because the course is located in the R-3 district, the town is arguing that the property’s use, in this case a disc golf course, is not the purpose of a residential district. Also, the R-3 designation makes reference to protecting “ecologically sensitive areas,” which gives the enforcement officer another reason to prevent traffic that isn’t supposed to be there anyway.

Are there signs on the property? Those would be an open initiation for the enforcement officer to poke around and see the activities taking place.

If the zoning designation is really the issue here, the property owner will need to apply for a use variance or a special use permit. I’m not familiar enough with the site to know which way to go. Both routes require public notice to the adjoining property owners (among others). These are the stake-holders that need to be convinced that the additional traffic, people, and activity that happens at the course does not reduce their quality of life/ property values. Also, I hope the property owner knows some of the dudes on the Planning Board or the Zoning Board of Appeals, because these people will be the ones voting on the variance or special use permit.

I don't see the fee schedule on the Building Department's Web site, but when I worked in this field, we charged between $500 and $700 for a special use permit. We didn't offer a use variance, as this opens up the whole jar of flies.

You can read the town Code here: http://www.ecode360.com/?custId=WO2784

nathan k
Rookie

Post by nathan k » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:05 am

its nice to see that we are moving backwards in the small number of courses that we have in the hudson valley. im gonna jump out on a limp here and go ahead and blame the hippie on the hill for this one. waaaayyyyy to many doses on dead ter for that fellow. extremely bummed about this i was really looking foward to having a course that was less than a hour and a half drive for me.

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 am

it's nice that the term "Private Property" doesn't mean squat to the town............ They just stick their noses in to show people that they're actually doing their "job"
It's becoming accepted behavior these days........... :x
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

bill dubilier
Rookie

Post by bill dubilier » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:33 pm

We are all to blame for posting anything about it when it should have been kept private.

Unfortunately the town saw the DGCR site and fined the owner. I asked that it be taken down because the town insisted. . .

I am meeting with the recreational department tonight and applying with the buildings department tomorrow. I've received permission from the owner to proceed with proper filing.

PLEASE EVERYONE JUST STAY OUT TILL THIS IS RESOLVED OR THE OWNER WILL SHUT IT DOWN FOREVER.

P.S. they don't know about this site so keep it hush hush and stay tuned,
and anyone who knows about zoning and real estate law please help.

Bill D[/u]

nathan k
Rookie

Post by nathan k » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:09 am

how did ur meeting go with the recreation dept. last night?

Scoontar
Discussion Pro

Post by Scoontar » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:26 am

I agree with Nathan. Course was closed all winter. No problems. I show up March 13, dude on hill writes nasty note-leaves it on my car. Then I see him, and he apologizes-tells me he thinks the course should re-open April 1. The next day a group of DisCappers plays the Rocks, and the dude was probably not to happy. He's probably over stressed about people parking to close to his driveway. How many notes did he leave on windshields last year? It seems to coincidental that he said April 1, and on April 1 Bill posts about the problems with the town. He might have sent an anonymous letter to the Buildings Department after March 14, and that has fueled the problems. I'm sure that guy does not want the course there, and he's gotten himself super stressed out thinking about the invasion of Disc Golfers this season interfering with his life. When the course reopens that dude is gonna snap-just wait.

bill dubilier
Rookie

Post by bill dubilier » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:38 pm

The meeting with the rec dept. went well.

Tom is not the problem it is the previous owner and the current owner at odds.

Next week I will be filing for the special use permit, and contacting the neighbors - It's either disc golf or 10-20 houses go in there.

Anyone know of a good real estate lawyer in the area?

Bill D

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:53 pm

Thanks Bill for going to bat for the course........... keep us updated 8)
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

kenjiac
I Am "They"

Post by kenjiac » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:38 pm

Bill there is Charles Foote in Hudson.

414 Union St
Hudson, NY 12534
518-822-9309

Me and his son where in boyscouts together. He helped me out with my father estate when my dad passed away in 2002. Didn't charge me anything. But his main law focus is real estate. I don't know if this is too far away? But he is a super nice guy. Mention my name if you want, Kenji Cline.
DisCap President
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163

jZip
Discussion Pro

Post by jZip » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:44 pm

now that's how this community thing works! way to step up kenji....and bill of course!
Be WE

walker
Discussion Pro

Post by walker » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:35 pm

how's the good fight going?
Walker
PDGA#35267
http://love146.org