Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:20 am 
Novice

Have a map of the course layout which can be found at the main office near the entrance. I also mapped it out on Ducky DG, which is a disc golf app for iphone. Not too sure about how accurate the measurements are but I have the following:

https://flic.kr/p/yfhKN5

#1) 329'
#2) 203'
#3) 228'
#4) 195'
#5) 137'
#6) 345'
#7) 251'
#8) 171'
#9) 165'

The ladies in the office wanted some feed back about the layout and everything. I had the following to say and would like others opinions who get to play it:

Tee area for #5 should be moved to the left more roughly 5 feet or so for a better angle to the tunnel shot
Tee area for #8 is either angled wrong for a direct approach to the basket, or the big tree to the left is a mandatory and must be played to the right of the tree, which would make the angle work...so just not sure if there is a mando there or not

As for the flow, it flows nice to each area. Not as challenging as I thought it might be, but still very fun none the less. I almost aced a few holes (3,4,7,9) and was able to make 7 birdies. Tee areas are gravel and seem short compared to others but you dont need much of a run up with such short holes. All in all I can see this being another fun course in the area to play.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:29 am 
Intermediate

I played Thather last week and decided to stop in at the office to give some suggestions. I was fortunate to talk with Bill the park manager, I believe?
He was very open to suggestions and comments about the course. We talked 30 minutes or so.
He told me a rep from Innova designed the course.

I suggested:
1. Tee 5 & 8 should be repositioned. (I showed to him on map)
2. All picnic tables and grills should be removed from anywhere near 4's fairway.
3. To put benches or tables at tee areas at least every 3 holes.
4. Safety concerns(blind spots)for driving on 2 and 3.
5. Need for good signage.

His replies:
1. He would look into it. Thought it was doable.
2. They know about this problem, tables and grills will be removed.
3. He would look into it. Thought it was a good idea.
4. Said signs warning of flying discs would be up soon. Also, playground near 3 will be removed.
5. All signs will be up soon.

He also showed me where the next 9 are going and the layout. It will be away from the picnic areas (yeah!) and be a more challenging course. It goes in this Summer. :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:17 pm 
Intermediate

I have a correction, Bill is NOT the park manager. But... He is the person to talk to about positive or negative feedback about the course. He was great about listening to valid suggestions.

I noticed today when I played a quick 8, that numbers were put on the baskets, and #5 was brushhoged. (Things I mentioned )

Also, ran into a couple of positive, friendly & polite groups that let me play through. Always a pleasure.
Thank You!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:46 pm 
Novice

Was at the park yesterday with my wife and my drone and noticed that more baskets are in! Wasn't able to really check it out too much but drove around and spotted 7 of them. I plan on going there tomorrow with some discs and checking it out, not sure if tee pads are marked or not but will update more after I pay a visit, can't wait!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:56 pm 
Intermediate

Great! Thanks for the update. Can't wait to check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:24 pm 
I Am "They"

I have a map of the back 9. I'll post it later. Pain to do from my phone.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:24 am 
Intermediate

kenjiac wrote:
I have a map of the back 9. I'll post it later. Pain to do from my phone.

Thanks! I hope it's more detailed and easier to read then the first 9.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:33 am 
Novice

So I tried to figure out the back 9, I believe I played most of them correctly, but I did not find them all, I couldn't find one basket, and was unsure of a tee area, but was able to spot a few rubber mats laid out for a couple of the tee pads. Will have to say it looks promising for a more of a challenge, adds a little more variety of shots, some more woods and longer shots are now available. The ladies in the office, which I have spoken to on many occasions now, are interested in putting on a tournament after speaking with them about the Mine Kill tourney and showing them all the "goodies" that came along with the players pack, they seemed very interested in doing one of their own and asked if I would be interested in helping out. I told them I would love to help out, also telling them that I can help out by pointing them in the right direction of who to contact about such requests and that I myself have no experience except for playing in a tournament. They took my name and number and I told them that I would spread the word to the Discap community and see what can happen with this, so anyone that wants to help out in anyway please feel free to do so and let's get another disc golf course in the capital region on the map, in the scene and getting played :) Thanks in advance to all

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:08 pm 
Intermediate

Thanks for the info on the new back 9.
If not too hot this weekend I'll check it out.

Great! I hope they schedule a tournament and I'm sure you will do fine helping to run it. Thanks for offering.
My suggestion is to run an 18 hole tourney so beginner and casual players will not be intimidated.
All my beginner and casual friends that Disc Golf will not do 36. Most of the people I run into playing that course seem to be casual players or beginners with experienced players teaching.

Yes, the office folks are welcoming, I've only been in twice but all the people I've met were great.

I love that Thatcher is being rejuvenated. The new visitor center being built looks very nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:49 am 
I Am "They"

Thacher Disc Golf Notes­

Hole #10
- Gotta remove low branches near the tee that are in the fairway airspace.
- Eventually, put Mando sign on tree that is circled in white paint.

Hole #11
- Marked two larger tees in the first wood line with white spray paint. Those need to be removed.
- The basket will be located between the wood line and the clump of trees in the field. Both the right side of the wood line and the left side of the clump should be thinned (keep any large vegetation) so the gap is a little wider, and players can get to their discs.
-
Hole #12
- Nothing to do here.

Hole #13
- Remove low branches on the left side of the fairway, and any smaller trees marked in white near the basket.

Hole #14
- Clear small trees near tee pad.
- Clear scrub brush to left once leaving woods and coming into field.
- Clear small trees on left side of wood line when approaching basket.

Hole #15
- Clear low branches near tee pad.
- Eventually, put Mando sign on tree that is circled in white paint.
- Clear all small brush/trees to the left side of the fairway 10’ or so into the woods so there is a “hard edge” to the fairway delineated by pines on both sides.

Hole #16
- Nothing to do here

Hole #17
- Clear small trees near tee pad.
- Clear low branches and small trees to left as approaching field.

Hole #18
- Clear white marked trees near the woodline.
- Clear white marked trees on left and right side of fairway, as well as around basket.

10: 455' / +5 (P4)
11: 472' / -2 (P4)
12: 530' / +14 (P4)
13: 225' / +6' (P3)
14: 258'/ +4' (P3)
15: 366' / +10' (P3)
16: 540 / +-2 (P4)
17: 207' / -1 (P3)
18: 337' / -6 (P3)
TOTAL = 3,390' (P31)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:23 am 
Intermediate

I played the new back 9 twice on Sunday.
I believe there is a player and picnic conflict on 15.
I could not putt because of two small children playing with the basket.
It is near a popular rental pavilion. Long putts could end up hitting the many picnic tables beyond.

Also, 12's basket is further then shown on the map. It's set within the tree line to the left.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:07 pm 
Novice

Played today and really enjoyed the new holes. Nice contrast to the front. Little trimming in the right spots will help it a lot. I think 10 being a par 4 is a bit of a stretch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:30 pm 
Intermediate

I played the whole 18 and found that all the tables were removed from the vicinity of 15's basket. Great!
There is still a problem with #4. Even though the picnic areas were moved more to the left and right of the fairway, they are still in the way of serious drives.
The grills and tables should be removed from this entire area.
In other words, does Thacher (how's this spelling Greg? Happy?) want a Functional disc golf course or a picnic area?

They invested in a Disc Golf course so.. Take it seriously. I do.

I hope that tee's for 5 & 8 will be fixed soon.

And not to be just a complainer, I LOVE this course. It is great for beginners and casual players like myself. It is also in an area with beautiful views and nostalgia galore for locals.

I look forward for the first tournament!

PS. Looks like the poison Ivy is being dealt with around #3 tee. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:11 pm 
Novice

Played 18 this weekend and I think the back 9 could become one of the best 9 hole stretches around. Such a good mix of holes and aside from the rough the course feels broken in. Jdb deuced 16 with a 15 foot putt ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:09 am 
Novice

Left a white pro destroyer on 16 on Sunday. It's somewhere in the junk on the left - I think about 100 feet short of the basket. Info on it.