Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 18 holes now! However...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:22 am 
Intermediate

So, the town coughed up the dough to put in 9 brand new baskets. However, none of the locals who actually know the history of the course (i.e. all of the screwed up basket locations of the past) were involved in the design.

Apparently two guys we don't know got their design approved last year, and this year they bought stuff and scheduled work hours for the parks and rec guys to put everything in.

Right now there are MAJOR issues with a lot of the new basket locations, and almost all of the new tee locations are either unsafe, unstable, or both.

I walked the course with the other two local guys who helped us redesign the course back in 2010 yesterday, and we came up with a list of suggestions to put a band-aid on the new holes to try to lessen the impact. The parks guy said he'd be willing to listen, but he's not inclined to change much because he already has the signs printed (yeah, it'll cost $6 a sign to change them, but such is bureaucratic inertia). He did admit that many of the holes just don't make sense, so maybe we can get him to change things now before anyone gets hurt, and before a whole new group of people visit the course and decide to never come back.

I could use two things...

1) if anyone has any pictures of the construction process for the 2x2 paver tee pads we've put in over at J-park, could you please share them with me at mr.malikowski@google.com? The head of the park was willing to consider putting in something that is better than crushed shale (i.e. a mud hole waiting to happen).

2) If anyone wants to come walk the new holes, I have a map I can send you, and you can come to your own conclusions about the safety issues and design faux pas. If I can forward enough messages from avid disc golfers pointing out the problems, perhaps the weight of numbers can have a effect.

PDGA#54361

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:28 pm 
Advanced

hey tony...GO TO DISC GOLF COURSE REVIEW JORALEMON DGC.....I bet you can find some nice "holes" PICS HERE...SOME OF THE PICS SHOW PARTIAL TEES

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:30 pm 
Intermediate

Thanks for the heads-up Kevin, those pics show just enough to let him see what I've been talking about. So the process is dig out the tee spot, put some stone in the bottom of the hole for drainage, level off the bottom of the hole, add 4'x12' inside dimension frame with 4"x4" posts spiked in with rebar, add crushed stone (inside and out of box), level off, add pavers into box, done?

PDGA#54361

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:09 pm 
Intermediate

Hi folks,

Just a little update... I did find pictures of the 2x2 paver tee pads in the archives of this message board, and thank you Kevin for pointing me towards the DGCR page for J-park for more views from the tees.

The ball is in the park guy's court, we sent him a detailed (!) list of everything that needs changing. If nothing else, we will be able to say "we told you so" when the new holes don't work out if they leave things alone.

See y'all at the Crick on Saturday. Bring yer woolies :occasion-snowman:

PDGA#54361

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:02 am 
Discussion Pro

Hey Tony, do you have a map of the course you could post here? Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:30 am 
Intermediate

germs wrote:
Hey Tony, do you have a map of the course you could post here? Thanks,

Hi Travis,

Yes, I have a map of the new holes that the town was putting in before we made our own proposal. The map shows the basket and tee locations. However, every time I've tried to post a picture or map on this message board, it hasn't worked.

So, here it goes I am trying again... if this doesn't work, I will e-mail it to Jeff and have him do it for me.

PDGA#54361

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:49 am 
WTF ??!!!

Not good.

Looks like what we changed for safety reasons was reinstalled into an even more dangerous layout. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:13 am 
Discussion Pro

Thanks for posting the layout. Doesn't look safe at all, but I only played Willow once... Monthly # 005... need to get back up there and play some safari.