Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:53 am 
I Am "They"

Willow Park in Vt is there any interest in making this 9 holer playable? We could do a redesign. It's not a bad piece of propety.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:04 am 
WTF ??!!!

The property available to us is not that great......... lots of low areas that are wet and the current design is way to close to the playground area.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:08 pm 
I Am "They"

Thus why i'm suggesting a redesign. I played it I didn't notice anything that was overly wet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:36 pm 
WTF ??!!!

The area near the soccer field, hole 5 and 6. Was a mud pit last time I was there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:43 pm 
Intermediate

Hi all,
I'm the school teacher who lives and works in Hoosick Falls, and ever since I rediscovered disc golf last year I've been interested in doing a redesign of the course at Willow Park. I spend a lot of time in Bennington and play the course, such as it is, about twice a week. Anyhoo, I was playing today when a one of the guys who designed the original course came up and started talking with me. He was the guy who made Willow Park happen, the whole shebang, playgrounds, ball fields, BMX Course, horse shoe club, etc. etc....

He is not a disc golfer, and he set his course with recreational Frisbees in mind (yes, he used actual Frisbees, before any of you remind me that this is DISC golf 8-) ) Only one of the pole holes is in its original place, which explains why the signage has no basis in reality. I was talking to Greg Kurtz at the Central Park Dubz three days ago, and he mentioned that he was part of the group who helped redesign the course to make it more of an actual disc golf course, which also explains a lot.

Anyhoo again, this guy (Bill Kilpatrick) was out taking pictures because his son has decided to make this course his Eagle Scout Project. Because Eagle Scout projects typically run to less than $1000, their idea is to reroute the course a little, replace the missing 9th hole, and put up new signs. Boy am I glad I ran into him! I walked around with him and showed him what a weak-armed 260-320 ft. driver could do with a disc, which was a good thing, because he definitely had no clue as to the reality of the dangers of modern disc flight. I also convinced him that at the minimum he needs to plan on making two tee locations per hole and laying down some boards to indicate where people should stand when they tee off. I showed him my idea of a decent 9 hole course, and gave him some numbers of some guys who work in Bennington and play Willow Park a lot who also have ideas.

Anyhoo #3, here's what I see happening... we can definitely have a decent 9 (or maybe 10) hole course if a couple of you experienced players can make the trek over to Bennington sometime in the next few weeks to walk the grounds with me and this guy and the other interested locals. His son wants to be done with this project by November 1st, which suits me just fine. I think that this would be great opportunity to get a playable course built for a (drum roll please) BATTLE OF BENNINGTON Tourney so we can have a 4 tournament Grand Slam. AND we could take this time during this walk to plan the next stage in development, which is to add enough holes in the woods and in the lower dead zones to make it a true 18 hole course. This guy knows how to get in touch with the Powers That Be in Bennington, and he says that basically they are receptive to projects as long as they don't have to do the work or supply the funds. Willow Park itself was put in by a small group of locals who did it without much help from the Bennington Municipals, and so if enough people want a real disc golf course then it can happen.

I'll be at both the J-Park and Central Park Dubz this week to see if I anyone wants to help. SEE YOU THERE!

PDGA#54361

Last edited by HoosickTony on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:04 pm 
WTF ??!!!

It's great to hear that someone is taken an interest in improving the course at Willow Park. It was the first course I played when moved here in 2007. I'm sure that some of the DisCap founders will be interested in helping out.

See ya Tuesday at the "J"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:24 am 
Discussion Pro

I am interested in helping out. This course is closer to me than Hyzer Crik. I'll be at doubles at CPS Thursday.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:47 pm 
Discussion Pro

Tony,
DisCap has elected Greg, Tim, and Kevin as our primary course designers. I strongly suggest you talk with them about assisting in the redesign of Willow. It is important that an experienced (Read: old) player work on the design in order to achieve the most playable course possible (by all).
Greg lives less than an hour from Bennington. Talk with him.
Thx for your interest.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:27 pm 
Discussion Pro

Tony that's great news! This opportunity is a wonderful thing
Willow is a nice park that needs some space for more holes.
If the Parks folks will allow us to carve some holes out of the woods areas to the west and north ( below the soccer field and to the side of the ball field) of the current holes, that would be great.
I'll see you at dubs tomorrow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:32 am 
Discussion Pro

Tony
Just saw this article. The Eagle Scout may be able to get some synergy from another Eagle Scout Disc Golf project: http://www.thetelegraph.com/news/course ... oject.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:34 pm 
Intermediate

Ven wrote:
I am interested in helping out. This course is closer to me than Hyzer Crik. I'll be at doubles at CPS Thursday.

Hi Ven,

I didn't find you at CPS on Thursday, so I don't have a phone number (or a face :oops:) for you yet. I'll add you to the "interested" e-mail list tomorrow when I make the first mass mailing. OR you can post your number here if you dare :mrgreen:

I'll include the article link in the mailing so Bill can pass it on to his future Eagle Scout.

PDGA#54361

Last edited by HoosickTony on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:35 pm 
Intermediate

jZip wrote:
Tony,
DisCap has elected Greg, Tim, and Kevin as our primary course designers. I strongly suggest you talk with them about assisting in the redesign of Willow. It is important that an experienced (Read: old) player work on the design in order to achieve the most playable course possible (by all).
Greg lives less than an hour from Bennington. Talk with him.
Thx for your interest.

I've talked to Greg and to Kevin and they're both interested in helping. What is Tim's last name? I don't think I've met him yet.

PDGA#54361

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:00 pm 
I Am "They"

HoosickTony wrote:

I've talked to Greg and to Kevin and they're both interested in helping. What is Tim's last name? I don't think I've met him yet.

Jiardini and he has work issues keeping him from leagues this year. He's one of our local pros. Great guy teaches very well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:27 pm 
Intermediate

The latest update on the Willow Park project...

I talked with Bill Kilpatrick again on Thursday. His son submitted a proposal to the Bennington Parks and Rec Director for the "fixer upper" on the course (repair, reroute, replace) last week, and it should be approved by next week. His scout troup will take care of all of funding for this first stage, which will include signs, a new basket, and tee boards. Bill also feels that his scouts and their parents will be able to supply any man power needed, but he's willing to accept all of the help he can get. Bill is also looking forwards to working with us disc golfers to set up a 9 hole course that's fun, challenging, and safer, using as many of the existing hole and tee locations as possible.

Last week I got to both J-Park and CPS Dubz and got names and numbers from some of you more experienced players to help with the design aspects. I'll set up an e-mail list tomorrow and try to coordinate some times where we can walk the area together. Plan on doing a walk sometime in the next two weeks just to come up with a route for 9 holes, with open ends for adding more.

Today I ran into the two most consistent users of the course at Willow Park "as is", Rick Olin and Mike O'Neil. They work about five minutes from Willow Park, and have been playing the course after work several times a week for the past year or so. All three of us feel that the course right now needs to add at least one hole to help with the flow, and that there is easily room for 3 to 6 and maybe 9 more holes as long as we can use the woods and clear some brush. (If you get over to Willow Park, you can thank Rick for doing most of the clearing on the three woods holes that are there right now.) Neither of these guys has made it to play a round at Central Park yet, so I'll see if I can bring them along with me to Dubz this Thursday.

I've got the name of Director of the Bennington Parks and Rec Department, so tomorrow I will try to set up a time to meet with her. I'm going to send her some pictures of what disc golf fairways can look like without cutting any big trees, and I will she wants to take a walk with me or with a group sometime in the next two weeks to scout the location. Bill seems to think that she won't need to walk the grounds, and that she won't have a problem with brush clearing and small tree removal as long as we don't ask her to supply any manpower or money to get it done. Bill thinks that she might have a problem with interference with the walking trails. I'll tell her about CPS and the walking trails that crisscross the course, and my experiences with other courses that are shared usage and see if that helps.

If I can't get a map from Bill, or if I can't get one from Parks and Rec, I'll go find the tax maps for the park at the county office next week so we can all see how much land there is to work with before we start planning any expansion.

The best time to take an expansion planning walk would be this fall, after the leaves drop. The 9 (or possibly 10) hole project should be finished by November 1st, and then we can get started on adding some more holes.

PDGA#54361

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:32 am 
Discussion Pro

tony,
vermont provides an excellent GIS portal at http://maps.vermont.gov/imf/sites/VCGI_basemap/jsp/launch.jsp

if you can't find what you're looking for, contact me. i work with maps for a living. also, i happily offer my mapping services for the Willow Park course once ready. In fact, I'd be willing to provide training for the scouts if they're interested.

feel free to contact me with any questions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next