Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:48 pm 
Discussion Pro

Went on a random ride with my Mel today. We ended up in Bennington, with the golf discs in the car. So we played Willow Creek. The improved course is one good circle of the park. Nice mix of holes woodsy/open. Good strategic basket placements. I reviewed it on Disc Golf Course Review. I had a good round: 4 pars, 3 bogeys, 1 birdie and a 9 (on #7). Good luck with the additional holes.

May I suggest painting the one spoke on top of the basket that points to the next tee?

On Friday I played Holyoke Community College (HCC) near Westfield, MA. Front 9 was open and amazingly windy. Back 9 through the woods and up and down. I hear they are working on a new layout: some of the front nine wouldn't work during other sports.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:40 pm 
Advanced

Going to check out Willow Park tomorrow. Any one care to join me let me know I'm leaving South Troy around 1 pm rain or shine. Though it looks like lots o rain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:57 pm 
Intermediate

Yes, it is time once again to revisit putting in the back nine at Willow Park.

For all of you who've not been there recently, there has been a major renovation of the large parking lot above hole #9, and all of the trees on the right of the fairway have been removed. They have dumped a whole @#$ load of dirt and extended the hill almost to the point of burying the basket on hole #9. The approach shot is much easier, but they have left an obvious place to put an O.B. to the right of the hole, so overall it's a wash.

The town has been doing basic course maintenance, cutting grass and keeping the brush cut back, but the bulk of the grunt work on expanding the fairways is still being done by two local guys named Mike and Rick and Rick's sons.

I've seen over 40 different new faces on the course in the past year, so the course is getting more play time. This week I ran into a German couple who've been coming down from Saratoga every week or two just to play the course.

The guy at the Bennington planning board who will decide on the proposal has been hard to get ahold of, but I should be able to get a paper in his hand before the end of the summer. I will send a copy of it to a couple of you before I give it to him so you can see what I might have missed.

Getting psyched to get the course done by next Summer.

PDGA#54361

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:35 pm 
I Am "They"

We're here to help Tony. Let us know what we can do.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:25 am 
WTF ??!!!

In !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:54 pm 
Intermediate

Just posting something here so this discussion comes back from the graveyard :scared-ghostface: ...

I am dusting off the course expansion proposal tomorrow (after I finish my taxes :romance-ballandchain: ), and I hope to get it finished so y'all can look at it next weekend. I am proposing a second set of tees on the already existing holes, and the addition of at least six more holes in the woods. I think that having six good holes would be better than having four or five good holes and four or five dinky little connectors, given the lack of space / lack of good landing zones / density of brush in the woods, but

Before I can hand it in, I will have to run it by the MAU cross country team coach, the local bicycle club, and whomever else I can think might be interested in the trails that are already in the woods. I know the cross country guy would love to have more room to run, and the bike people will most likely want some more trails to ride, so it shouldn't be too big a deal to get them to come on board for an expansion.

Now, how to fund it... :think:

PDGA#54361

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:07 pm 

completely off topic but ...

the emoticon :romance-ballandchain:

reads "romance-ballandchain"

so here I was thinking that I was on his 'to-do' list in the morning ... but it seems he was only talking about his taxes ... sheesh ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:38 pm 
Intermediate

Also off topic, but, honey, you know you are always on my "to do" list. :romance-kisscheek:

PDGA#54361

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:45 pm 

can't believe I missed that for so long :flags-usa: go team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:15 am 
Discussion Pro

It's great to visit Willow for the first time since 2006. Some of the holes that Kurt Waggoner designed were still there but MUCH better groomed. Hole 2 was jungle and swampy back then, almost unplayable, and it had a different number. Now awesomesauce. I believe most of holes 1-7 were Kurt's design but with different numbers. Current hole 4 was the same but was called 1, and current 5 was called 2 but was longer, with the pin in a ditch where 6's fairway is now. Current 2 and 3 we put in back in 2006, they had different numbers. I don't remember 1 or 6 but what is currently called 7 was there.

Tony added 6 new holes of awesomeness (8-13) and they are quite groovy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:40 am 
WTF ??!!!

Green Mountain DGC discussion concerning Willowhttp://www.gmdgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1513

A combined effort between DisCap and GMDGC could be just what it takes to get this course to 18 holes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:19 am 
Intermediate

What a nice course great variety, two bathrooms & a BMX track???
looks like there is room for more...?
I had heard bad reviews but clearly that is old info
I thought the variety of holes was great
the walk between some of the holes was a little clunky
& some of the holes reminded me of Clay, anyone else?
worth the drive.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:23 pm 
Intermediate

It was such a beautiful February morning that I decided to drive to Bennington and play Willow Park.
Glad I did. Beautiful views (even for a Feb day) and a nice course. Totally enjoyed myself. Not many other folks about but.. thats good for this course. It is interspersed within a multi-use park and could have safety issues on high use days.

Last I played was 5 or 6 years ago with Ven.

Does anyone play there? If so, what are the pars? Tee signs did not post pars only length in feet to target.
Most seemed 3's but I think a couple were 4's.

Whatever, I will be back.
The Fall season should be great. Uber beautiful views!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7