Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:57 am 
Discussion Pro

List of work for upcoming workdays:

Add gravel and level tees 1-9 to prepare for pavers.
Install gravel tee on 10 at the correct position. (it's more level over to the right)
Install gravel tees on 11 and 12.
Clear path from 17 to 18. (tree down)
Remove temporary signage on 1-9.
Install signage on 10-18.
Install arrows between holes on the back 9.
Install bridges on 11 & 12. (Josh + Harry are building some, thanks guys!)
Begin chainsaw work on new 13 + 14.
Poison ivy removal on 3, 4 and 9.

Sticks and logs can always be moved further away from the fairways... easy to do during a casual round.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:16 pm 
Discussion Pro

Gene, you mentioned that we have a lost and found box ready to go? Can we get it attached to the shed soon? Discs have been piling up lately.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:12 pm 
Discussion Pro

Gene, Zach and Aaron took a chainsaw out and made a new fairway. Currently hole 17B... will eventually become hole 16. We played hole 17C(New 17), shoots across a pond! 2 new epic holes at Stonykill. To find them, follow the path from 17's basket to the left. Tee is flagged and there is one of the welding class baskets out there, easily visible at this time of year. Thanks to Tim Golden for driving the basket out there... sucks you lost a disc in the pond. I'm sure there will be plenty of discs in there soon...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:40 pm 
Discussion Pro

As of tomorrow there will be 20 playable holes with baskets...

More tees to come soon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:11 pm 
Discussion Pro

SHOVEL THE TEES FOR SWEET BABY JESUS!

Or tee off to the side.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:10 pm 
WTF ??!!!

germs wrote:
SHOVEL THE TEES FOR SWEET BABY JESUS!

Or tee off to the side.
This??!!

I'll be right there !!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:42 pm 
Discussion Pro

This Sunday, January 31st from 10am-2pm, we will be moving gravel and leveling teepads 12, 13 and 14. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is willing to bring out a chainsaw, there is some clearing to be done on the new holes 16 and 17.

Hope to see some of you there. If you have any questions, send me a PM.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:26 pm 
Discussion Pro

I have a two and a half ton dump truck for this weekend. Could definitely use somebody with a chainsaw.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:44 pm 
Discussion Pro

Thanks to everyone who came out to help work this weekend. We managed to move 5 loads of logs and brush from hole 10, leveled the tees on 12 and 13 in preparation for pavers, and Kenji put his chainsaw to work on hole 17C, there is now a clear pathway to throw across the pond!

Gene or I will announce the next workday soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:01 pm 
Advanced

Course is looking great! It's really amazing to see the progress over the course of several months. Last time I think I played it was at the Fall Classic (11/2/15). The amount of cleanup and fairway grooming since then is really noticeable. The mulch, new bridges, etc. are really giving the course character. The new holes are a fun addition too! (Fortunately I was able to recover my first shot on the pond hole) Can't wait to see this course in the future. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:14 pm 
Discussion Pro

I'll be out on the course mowing, hanging signs, spreading some wood chips and gravel and making sure everything is tournament ready tomorrow. I could use help if anyone gets out of work early!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:08 am 
Discussion Pro

There is a cute little 6x6 tee on hole 5!

There are also yellowjackets on hole 4's tee... watch out, lots of people were stung yesterday.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:54 pm 
Discussion Pro

I sprayed the yellowjackets on 4's tee yesterday, hopefully they are dead. I also got stung more than a dozen times on hole 6 on Wednesday but they're far enough off the fairway that I doubt anyone else will encounter them.

Gene, Nate and I mowed and weedwhacked a lot yesterday and they are back out there again today finishing up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:49 am 
Intermediate

TO DO LIST UPDATE get your reading glasses :geek:

The purpose of this list is to detail what materials and tools are needed to get these jobs done. Feel free to post if you can volunteer your time on the weekends, have any materials to donate, or have any of the necessary tools we can borrow. Also, you can add to this list any other suggestions you might have for improvements. Thanks in advance.

Tee Pads
Before more paver tee pads can be installed we need more materials to finish building them. We have plenty of gravel. We have some sand left over, but can get about a ton worth more from a friends house about 10 miles away from the course. (Billy A. and myself might be able to get the sand taken care of later this week.) We just need to get a truck over there and some shovels. we also need more lengths of 4x4's ( 10 footers ) to build the frames. Kenji has some at his house we can make use of to finish #4 and #9 (also need a truck to transport them to the course since they are to long to fit in my car), then we will need to purchase more to continue building frames for back 9 tees. There are still enough pavers and bricks left to build at least #'s 4, 9, 11, 12, and 15... maybe more.

Mowing
We would like to give the fairways in the Pit one more good mow leading into the Fall season, preferably within the next 2 weeks before the first Stonykillers Team Challenge, but definitely before the Stonykill Fall Classic. We have the push mowers, but it only takes about 2-3 hours with a riding mower.

Besides these two ongoing projects, each hole has it's own to do list.

1. There is a large widowmaker to the right above the basket. Needs a rope and grappling hook pulled by a truck or winch to get it down, and then remove it. the basket will need to be removed before attempting this.

2. There is a large black cherry down,and still leaning on smaller pines to the left of the tee. The larger tree needs to be carefully pulled or cut away from the smaller trees to safely clean up the mess. So ropes and a chainsaw will be needed.

3.The tee area eventually requires more fill over the roots near the pad and benches. And more PI spraying off the fairway and along the trail to #4

4. Also, more PI spraying off both sides of the fairway. And removing a fallen tree behind the basket which partially blocks the fairway for the #5 Alt tee location.

5. Add more steps up the hill.

6. Clear more of the underbrush on the right side of the fairway leading down the hill. Also, in the spring time, transplant trees to the far left to block errant shots towards hole 7.

7. PI spraying along the left of the fairway.

8.Remove the rest of the leftover brush pile on the left before the stream.

9. Finish opening the Mass. line up into the landing zone. Clear the rest of the small stumps in front of the tee pad.

10.Clear the rest of the right side approach shot up the hill to the basket. Eventually plant a cluster or row of trees to separate 10's fairway from 13's fairway, to limit the crossover.

11. One more tree just across the stream needs to be removed to open up the landing zone. Eventually fill some of the low lying wet areas on the left side of the fairway.

12. Clear most of the small stumps on the green around the basket.

13. Ready made hole... with a sweet bench. Thanks Fitz!

14. Maybe turn it into a par 4 some day. But for now it's fine.

15. Remove the dead tree on the left edge of the swamp.

16. This tee area will require a retaining wall at the front before attempting to build a proper, paver tee pad. Also, some shrubbery (Requested by the Knights who say "Ni" ) to block off 17's tee from errant shots on 16.

17. Make a log barrier near the water's edge to stop roll aways into the water. Remove two more trees on the right to allow for an alternate pin on the right.

18. More PI spray leading up the path from the tee and along the right side around the first dog leg. This hole may be modified into a longer par 4 to take full advantage of the terrain.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Let me know what you think!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:36 am 
Intermediate

When is the field (pit) going to be mowed?

The whole field with a tractor and brush hog.
Not just the areas where advanced players usually land their drives and the putting greens.
Players that are not strong proficient & youthful are losing (and spending a lot of time trying to find) their discs in that overgrown field. Not to mention the risk of ticks.

What's the story on this?