Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:28 am 
Discussion Pro

The story is that I couldn't keep up with a push mower. Now that I have a rider, I'm working on getting rid of the long grass in the noodlearm landing area, it just takes time. The farmer that usually takes down the long grass isn't around this year. All I can say for now is try to throw it straight and land in the fairway... hopefully it's even wider on next Wednesday when I get out to mow and weedwhack again.

The good news is I haven't seen a tick at Stonykill in months, and I walk everywhere on the course.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:18 am 
Intermediate

Thank You for explaining and for all the work you do.

I'm glad you now have a riding mower, that should help a lot.

If you could extend the landing area for drives (noodle arm?) further down towards the tee area that should help. Especially on 13 & 14.

There must be other local people that have Brush Hog equipment that could cut the field? You might have to pay a couple hundred bucks though. It's just part of the cost of Maintaining this course.

I was bit by a tick at Stonykill this past June, it was caught early and I suffered no ill effects.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:30 pm 
Intermediate

Played Stonykill today with friends. We were wondering about the developement of this course.
Why no new developement? What's the plan for this year? Are the people in charge (Gene, Travis?) talking with the Town? What's the news on this course?

I sent an email to Nate awhile back and asked him to pass on. I offered to donate two picnic tables to the course. Just needed someone with a pickup truck to deliver.
I heard nothing back. Nothing.

What's with this attitude? Sometime you have to work with people you don't see eye to eye with to accomplish the goal. Which is the developement of Stonykill.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:55 am 
Discussion Pro

No news on the course, everything is good with the town. Gene and I typically plan all developments at the course but he's been busy and I've been too sick.

Our plans right now include mowing and maintaining the course and buying wood to install more tees. None of us have a truck to pick up tables - sorry I missed or forgot about your post and thanks for all of your generosity to help make this course what it is. There is no bad attitude, I'm sure we simply missed your correspondence. I for one am proud of what a small group of volunteers has already accomplished with limited time and resources. If you still have the picnic tables maybe Kenji or somebody with a truck can come pick them up soon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:04 pm 
Intermediate

Sorry I don't visit the boards as often as I used to. As most of us are aware, life happens, and even if we wish it to be, life can't always be disc golf. But i guess it's about time for an update on the realities of the future of Stonykill.

Recently the Town of Chatham has approached Discap and myself about concerns they have with the use of the course and the maintenance being done by the volunteer crew on their property. Specifically, liability concerns over the use of power equipment by volunteers, and players on the course after dark.

We find ourselves in a unique situation at Stonykill in Chatham. Unlike other course in the area. Stonykill is a disc golf course only; not a disc golf course in a multi-use park. The town's parks and rec budget will not allow for regular maintenance at the course to be done to keep the course in a playable condition. This has been the town stance since the beginning, and it isn't likely to change. I will continue to talk with the town board about our options to see if a compromise can be reached. (I have talked to a handful of local landscapers about the cost of mowing the course: $200-$300 per visit, and none of them would consider offering their services as donations, and at those prices I don't blame them.)

Unfortunately, if they will not allow us to the necessary work as volunteers without getting extra insurance, and they are not willing to take responsibility for the upkeep of their property, then a drastic re-design of the course may be necessary. The thought of having to do it both sickens and saddens me, but it will get done if it means keeping a disc golf course n Chatham.

The board members are also concerned with players being on the property after dark. I reminded them it is their responsibility to make the public aware if there are rules about how and when they are allowed to use the course, not Discap. Discap is only involved with PDGA sanctioned tournaments at any of the courses in the greater capital region, and the PDGA provides added insurance for those events. Any other "organized" league or team events are simply groups of like minded, passionate, fun loving players, who are also good at social networking and being on time to play at the same time. So don't be surprised if you see some new signs up around the course soon.

When there is more news to be updated, I will update it. Until then, anyone concerned about the maintenance of the course, anyone who wants to know about the future plans for the property, anyone who would like to make donations to improve the course should speak with the town board members. Maybe if they meet others who show an interest in improving the course and the facilities, they will show more of an interest too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:42 pm 
Intermediate

Thanks Gene & Travis for the detailed replies.

Yes, there's more to life then disc golf. But... Disc golf is one of my favorite past times.

Perhaps a fundraiser (last days of May) for Stonykill grounds keeping expenses?

I don't really know what the Towns concern is with people at the course after dark?
Is this for glow golf? If so... I was wondering with the increased risk for injury.

Too late this year for picnic tables. Perhaps next year.