Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Looking for some Wisdom
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:09 am 

A bit about me first, I throw mostly Innova but I am in NO WAY opposed to throwing other brands. I have low to medium arm speed and I can throw 9 speed Innova drivers about 280-300 ft. All of my drivers weigh between 165 and 167.
My current state of mind is confused and I'm looking for some advice.

The Problem: I bag a super light 141g Star Tern (12, 6, -3, 2) for Hail Mary style downhill/tailwind distance. When I throw this disc on a slight hyzer, it turns and burns and starts rolling at about 220-230 ft on almost every throw. I don't think it's an Off Axis Torque problem either. Bc I can follow up the next 4 throws with various 9 speed drivers with good results.

The Confusion: I also bag a 166g Star Roadrunner (9, 5, -4, 1). When I throw my Roadrunner the exact same way I throw my Tern, the Roadrunner produces a nice gradual turn all the way to the target with a bit of fade at the end. By the numbers, the Roadrunner is a lower speed and more understable driver than the Tern. But it doesn't turn and burn like the Tern. Is this a weight problem? Is 141g just too light?

The Want: I would like to get a driver with a big sweeping turn for open downhill/tailwind drives. I like my Roadrunner, but it doesn't have quite the turn I'm looking for. And my Tern def has too much. Any advice?

Sorry for the long post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:01 am 
I Am "They"

I'm similar in power and weight of my discs. I like a blizzard katana for the shot your describing. Mine is 150g.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:56 am 

Thanks for the reply Kenji!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:16 pm 
Advanced

I'll second lightweight Katanas. Move up to Blizzard bosses if you find Katanas too flippy.

Overall, I would suggest sticking with your heavier nine speeds. They will likely serve you better due to consistency and predictability. Air-infused discs are amazing, but you sacrifice a lot of control to gain the extra distance.

Also, if you're throwing downhill, I would disc up with something heavier & more stable. Uphill shots call for lighter, less stable discs. Keep the nose angle flat and the disc flight parallel to the ground.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:36 pm 

Really? More stable down hill?

Is that bc of consistency reasons on the downhill? I would think you'd be losing distance with a more stable disc. I'm not questioning you AT ALL. I'm just trying to work it out in my head.

I still consider myself a beginner so I like to ask a lot of questions. To learn everything I can.

Def makes sense to me to throw a lighter, less stable disc up hill. Bc the lighter discs have a higher glide typically?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:51 pm 

Scratch my last post. I did some research and I get it now. Discs fly more overstable when thrown uphill and more understable when thrown down hill. I'm tracking now. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:55 pm 

So, just out of curiosity, what disc would you throw on a hole like #12 at Hyzer Creek? Elevated tee box to a large open field.

The longest shot I've ever thrown was using a Blizzard Katana on that hole. Threw a hyzer flip, to a big sweeping turn down the tree line, hooking up and landing back in the fairway approx. 30 feet beyond the 500ft rock.

I have not replicated that since then to my dismay. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:50 pm 
WTF ??!!!

Champ Tern, 169g. is the only disc I've got to 500 rock with.