Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:30 pm 
WTF ??!!!

Walker has expressed an interest in starting a singles league. He has a handicap system that's in place and works well from the Rochester area league. If interested, please post what days you're available.

Walker, please post some details on the handicap system so people can get an idea how it works.

Last edited by MichiganJeff on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:51 pm 
Discussion Pro

This is a fairly easy system. The Handicap formula is

[(Your Average) – 54] x 90%= your handicap (rounded to whole number)

So for example if your average is 64, you subtract 54, and get 10, then multiply by 90% (.9) your handicap is 9.

So the next week you shoot a scratch score of 63. With a 9 handicap, your adjusted score is 54. Thus, if you shoot better then your average, it is likely you will get some cash back, but your handicap will also go down, making it slightly more difficult to place next week. If you shoot worse then your average, your handicap will go up slightly, making it easier to place the next week.

It works out well in that the same people are not winning every week, and everybody has a good chance at cashing.

There are some variables and rules we could choose to adopt or not.

1. Negative handicaps. If someone shoots a scratch 50 every week, they will have a handicap of -4. [50-54] x 90%= -3.6 (rounded to 4). Thus their adjusted score would be 54. I like this way, I think it makes things even more fair, but some people don't.

2. Cost. I suggest $7 mandatory ($5 towards payout, $1 year end final, $1 to club) The year end final then ends up with an establish pot already, and you only pay for the weeks you missed. So if there was 20 weeks, each player would have contributed $20. If they missed 3 weeks, it will cost that player $3 to play in the final. Or you could not play all summer, and pay $20 to play the final. The $1 to the club could be earmarked for either course repair, or to subsidize cost of the Jammer, or the Battle, etc.

In addition to the $7... optional $1 ace pool. optional $2 50/50 ctp ($1 to payout, $1 to club). That makes it a nice even $10 if you opt for everything.

3. how to establish handicap Rather then the honor system of 'yeah i usually shoot a 70' I propose 2 weeks to establish handicap. So for new players, the first two weeks they will play without a handicap. To be fair, they will not have to pay the $5 for payout the first time, only the $2, (plus options). On the second week, their score is immediately figured in with week one, and the handicap is applied. This could be 3 weeks, or your most recent casual round (with a witness), up for discussion.

4. Outlayers Some leagues use a ridiculous equation using standard deviations for this. I propose that any round which is 7 strokes (or another number) above your average, will be disregarded, and not figured into your average. This prevents anyone from purposely throwing a terrible round, ending up with a 20 handicap, then crushing everyone next week. aka sandbagging. On the other hand, if you shoot 7 strokes below your average, good for you, keep it up.

5. pdga rules apply, no arguing. (except for that pesky beer/fun stuff rule)

6. payouts. top third, at directors discretion.

The stats can be kept in a spreadsheet. That way if whoever runs the league can't be there one week, they can email it to someone to substitute. This is also a great time to play for bag tags, if we had them. Tags are based on scratch score of course.

PDGA#35267
http://love146.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:04 pm 
I Am "They"

I'd be down for a singles league and dubs whenever I can. I work Tues Weds Thurs nights. So I 'd like one of these to be on a Monday (or Friday) so I may participate. $My.02.
But I did just go on an interview with my old unit. The assistant director called me up and told me to send her a resume I wasn't even looking because I still have 1 month left before my probation is up from this new position. Went on the interview yesterday and was told that she has to do a few more interviews but regardless this position is mine if i want it. SWEET! It is a little more money but the great thing is they always have overtime and I might be able to work less hours doing OT and make more $$ than I do at the restuarant. These economic times are not too good for the restuarant biz. We used to have 3 servers every weekday night. We are down to 2 and sometimes when theres not to many reservation only 1 server. LAST TUESDAY I WORKED 5 HRS FOR $15 IN TIPS :( :(
Enough with my longwindedness. Long story short I might quit working the restuarant and have time to play on weeknights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:14 pm 
Novice

I'd really like tosee this thing take off, but not too many people seem to be taking interest in it. I'm sure we could get a pretty good size league together, and I'd be willing to pay up to ten a week fro the whole shebang...

Anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:45 pm 
Discussion Pro

bump. Is anybody willing to run this? I don't think I'll be in Albany this summer.

PDGA#35267

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:07 am 
Discussion Pro

I don't think so. There has been zero interest in this. I think we are to small to run a singles league. We just broke our record of 16 players for Dubs. That has been a 2 year old record.

Maybe for bag tags we could establish a handicap system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:14 am 
WTF ??!!!

I'm thinking with all the new faces we're seeing at the J this year that we'll have a bigger group of regulars NEXT year and a singles league would have a better chance........... with any luck we'll have 4 course(JPark, Hyzer, Rocks & CPS) to alternate around too.

2010 DisCap Handicap Singles ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:25 pm 
Discussion Pro

Out this way the record for singles league was 17, but it was a very successful league. Dubs record was mid 30's i think. Of course then there's buffalo who fills every week at 72, then starts turning folks away.

PDGA#35267

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:31 pm 
WTF ??!!!

Should I reset the poll so that we car re-vote?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:45 pm 
Discussion Pro

MichiganJeff wrote:
Should I reset the poll so that we car re-vote?

Or at lest delete the old one. Is there a way to vote for every day we can play? Instead of just one day we can play? If not maybe voting for the weekday you don't want it on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:48 pm 
WTF ??!!!

No, the poll/voting system only allows one vote......... how about this?

MiJeff
Mon=Y
Wed=Y
Thu=Y
Fri=N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:11 pm 
WTF ??!!!

walker wrote:
This is a fairly easy system. The Handicap formula is

[(Your Average) – 54] x 90%= your handicap (rounded to whole number)

ok, I went over to the Scene and pulled some scores played and posted scores at J-Park.

I have 28 rounds recorded on the J-West18 layout with an average of 60.21
60.21 - 54 = 6.21 x .9 = 5.589 my handicap is 6

Kenji has 9 rounds on J-West with an average of 67.5
67.5 - 54 = 13.5 x .9 = 12.15, handicap is 12

So to beat Kenji, i need to be 7 strokes better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:25 pm 
Discussion Pro

right. I look at it as everyone is playing against their own handicap. So Jeff, if you shot better then your average day, a 61. You 7 handicap would bring you to par. Kenji has to shoot 2 strokes better then his average, a 72, to get to par and tie you.

The .9 adjusts things quite nicely, because if your average is a 56, and 55 is a significant improvement. If your average is an 82, an 81 is not really as significant.

I suppose the -54 could be -course par instead. Also, if you do a singles league, you have to play the same course, same layout each week. Because say I always throw a 63 at Jpark, and but at Hyzer I always shoot a 79, and CPS I throw a 49 every week (yeah right!). It throws off the handicapping system.

PDGA#35267

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:46 pm 
WTF ??!!!

walker wrote:
I suppose the -54 could be -course par instead. Also, if you do a singles league, you have to play the same course, same layout each week. Because say I always throw a 63 at Jpark, and but at Hyzer I always shoot a 79, and CPS I throw a 49 every week (yeah right!). It throws off the handicapping system.

I was wondering if that "-54" was in relation to par because the par for J-West is 57 so that'd change things. I was going to use the 27-hole layout scores but the handicap numbers go waaaay up(mine was 15 or something).
By playing the same course you mean courses with the same par?(J-East is par 58 and I think CPS will be also)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:02 pm 
Discussion Pro

Yeah, I'm not sure where the -54 came from. This system is from Ellison Park, where par is 54. I suppose 54 or 57 would work, it's all relative.

By the same course, I mean the exact same course. J-east and CPS may have the same par, but not necessarily be the same difficulty. For example I almost always throw a 62 at ellison, par 54. But I played Shore Winds, also par 54 and shot -2.

I don't have experience actually running a league this way, just reporting on how another guy ran ours at Ellison. So it may work. I guess it never hurts to experiment.

PDGA#35267