Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:33 pm 
Intermediate

Here is the lastest news...

"Justin, I met with town officials from Niskayuna earlier this week in regard to the Disc Golf Program. They were very enthusiastic to say the least. If you can at your earliest, contact Lori Peretti at 386-4526 to discuss the program further. They are planning to place this on their committee agenda for Thursday, Feb. 4 at 7 PM. They meet at Town Hall, off Nott Street just past the High School. It seems they have some great sites in mind (one where it overlooks the River!). We would need to get the folks that helped survey and layout the Central Park site to assist. The town has aerial views of the entire town on-line for you to review as well. I showed them the power point for the CP site. I believe this would be the best approach to use with the Nisky. folks as well. I will be willing to print the booklets for handouts to the committee."

So it looks like we are going to propose the course on Feb 4th. It sounds like they are not sold on one specific site yet. I am going to call Lori and see what she says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:00 pm 
Discussion Pro

Way to go Justin!
Remind the folks that we like to play golf in underutilized areas, away from other folks.
Did they say what kind of budget they have?
If you feel the need for folks to attend the meeting, just let us know.
Kevin and JZip will be glad to assist in any mapping duties.
Thanks again for working so hard to promote Disc Golf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:24 pm 
Intermediate

I spoke with Nisky today. They want to use the landfill at Blatnick park. Wide open and along the river. I need to go down there and take a look. They are open to the idea of a nine hole course, especially after I told them how much it would cost. I mentioned lions park and they didn't think there was enough room. Anybody want to take a trip to Blatnick park today? I can get there around 415.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:30 pm 
WTF ??!!!

Jhoff40 wrote:
I spoke with Nisky today. They want to use the landfill at Blatnick park. Wide open and along the river. I need to go down there and take a look. They are open to the idea of a nine hole course, especially after I told them how much it would cost. I mentioned lions park and they didn't think there was enough room. Anybody want to take a trip to Blatnick park today? I can get there around 415.

I can be there........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 pm 
Discussion Pro

not to rain on any parades here, but blatnick seems teeny tiny, although i haven't actually been there.

perhaps you might mention stanford park too.

or perhaps thie nisky rec complex CLICK

i'd join y'all if i could get out of work early but that's looking really unlikely.

jZip wrote:
however stanford park might be worth checking out: clicky

or perhaps Lions Park. Access from the bike trail would be cool. I could pedal to the course.

good luck guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:33 pm 
WTF ??!!!

jZip wrote:
or perhaps thie nisky rec complex CLICK

Here's a overlay of the Google maps satellite pic and the park outline they show in the map option. I drove thru there once and that wooded area is totally unused and is on a moderately sloped hill heading down toward Aquaduct Road. Theres's a crrek of some sort also running thru there. I guess a hike thru those woods is needed to really get a feel for what is there but from this view, a nine hole course would be easy to fit, IMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:31 pm 
WTF ??!!!

The early look at Blatnick shows some promise......... if the wooded area behind the Nisky Water & Sewer complex is available, there's a possibility of 18 holes. Some serious elevation with the landfill mound offers a great view of the river.

one thing.................. it's got that landfill smell to it. :x And since it smelled on a cold January day I can only imagine it gets worse in the summer.

...... oh yea, if anyone goes out and feels adventurous, you can get my Champ Beast off the semi-frozen pond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:25 pm 
Intermediate

After walking around Blatnick I am starting to get excited about a course there. The elevation is crazy and there is plenty of room with some cool little ponds to play with. Yeah there are going to be some really bad smelling days on some holes but I think it will be worth it. Plus now you can blame any of your own smells on the land fill. We should have a map up here soon and hopefully more of you can get out there and check it out.

Last edited by Jhoff40 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:02 am 
Discussion Pro

I can't smell much (born that way). Aren't there plants that will absorb odors, and other ones that are smelly themselves and would cover the odor?

If it's the sewage holding pond, then the plant is called Water Hyacinth. From a garden pond supply website:

"NASA - Over 30 years ago, NASA saw tremendous potential for water hyacinth to purify water on long space voyages and launched studies on the plant. As a result of these studies they found that this plant could save millions of dollars by being used in waste treatment facilities to purify water. This attests to the awesome power of the water hyacinth root system to absorb impurities. Today the water hyacinth is used in many cities wastewater plants and is planned for more. Disneyworld cleans all of their waste water with them! Imagine what they can do for your pond.

CAUTION - Water hyacinth is an extremely invasive plant if released into the natural environment. PLEASE make sure you restrict them to your own private applications and insure that you dispose of extra plants carefully. "

Although they will be killed by frost. I have had a small Japanese garden pond for over 20 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:48 am 
WTF ??!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:39 pm 
I Am "They"

Did you get a chance to walk though those woods at all? How's the terrain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:43 pm 
WTF ??!!!

kenjiac wrote:
Did you get a chance to walk though those woods at all? How's the terrain?

Didn't have time yesterday..... still have to verify that its available for use(i don't see why not) then we'll rummage around there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:10 am 
Intermediate

I met with the Nisky Parks and Rec committee on Thursday (4th). They are very enthusiastic about a disc golf course in Blatnick. The Schenectady DGC will work with them to help design the course but they are going to do most of the labor. They want to move as soon as possible, but I told them they can not expect it to be ready any sooner than September. Schenectady tree crew has been a dream to work with. They have taken down whatever I have asked them to in less than a week. So we will have to see how easy Nisky is to work with.

I am meeting the Highway Superintendent (who seems to be the one who is going to do most of the work with his crew) on Tuesday to walk the areas that we can use. The maps above do not even show all of the area we can use, so there is plenty of room for 18 huge holes. After that, it will be time to get the course design crew together. I will probably create the design in the same way I did Central Park. I will set up a preliminary design and then walk through it with whoever wants to. We will make changes and adjustments based on the feedback that we get. Central Park was my baby and we have changed that design 8 different times. This time we will have to work a little more quickly, so hopefully I can have something put together before March. When March hits, all of our effort will be to getting Central Park in the ground. I smell a two day, two course, PDGA tournament in Schenectady in 2011!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:15 pm 
Intermediate

Whoa! Where have I been? I live less than 5 minutes from this park. We often ride our bikes along that bike path. How exciting!!

Post subject: Namesake
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:28 am 
Discussion Pro

Has anyone thought about contacting Jeff Blatnick to see if he's a current or potential disc golfer? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Blatnick He lives in Clifton Park. Could be some good synergies ....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next