Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:11 pm 

So I don't know what the rule's for the park are so if Niskayuna disallows this or whatever then forget about it, but me and my cousin were out there today (for the second time) trying to figure out how the course actually play's as opposed to the way we played it the first time we went. Anyways after we had finished up the 9 rounds, we both headed over to the car which was near the driving range.

So we went over there and since it's not open (I don't know if it still opens anymore!) we started throwing discs to see how far we were actually going. Suffice to say we suck .......... alot, and we have no idea how to fix it. The BEST throw we had was 85 yards which translates to 190 or so feet. Yet everything I've read says we should at least be able to throw it 300 feet.

So ........ before it opens I realized that it would make the perfect place for a driving lesson day, so the students could actually see how far they are throwing it, and since it's got cement right in front of it its basically a Giant Tee box. I don't even know who would be interested in something like that, but I know i sure would. When I went to Schenectady it seemed like there wasn't really a place to teach driving, cause of the tree's. I know at least 4 or 5 people that I could bring that are "new" to disc golf who would go if there was going to be someone telling us wth we're doing wrong.

Just an idea I had today, who knows if the park even allows it, but i've watched a ton of youtube video's on how to "drive" and still only get 200 feet. It's getting frustrating !!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:45 pm 
Advanced

duxstar wrote:
...85 yards which translates to 190 or so feet.

85 yards is ~255 feet :geek:

so that's closer than you thought! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:56 pm 
Discussion Pro

Hitting the Driving Range to measure your shots is an important element in improving
your golf game. We love the driving range at Blatnick! I've made a DisCap set of driving
range signs to put out on the ball golf range. 250 feet and in 25 foot increments, out to 400 feet.
DisCap is holding some clinics this summer, this location might be a good one for an evening.
CPS doesn't really have a big open practice range. we can bring some portable baskets out to
practice putting. Come to dubs nights for pointers from other players

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:55 pm 
Discussion Pro

There are some spots for a driving range at CPS, just not by the kiosk. Fairway of 15 tee of 16. Maybe we could use the baseball field near 8.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:18 am 

timdef wrote:
duxstar wrote:
...85 yards which translates to 190 or so feet.

85 yards is ~255 feet :geek:

so that's closer than you thought! :)

haha the only problem is that 255 feet was the furthest thrown disc lol, we consistently did about 60 or so yards, so about 180 feet, it's just i've been to dubs night and i feel bad cause those guys are good, and i feel like I'm holding them back lol plus they would give me tips, and then somehow if i had bad shots afterwards i would feel like maybe i did something wrong and wasn't listening to them, I'm just not that great and it takes forever for me to get the whole "feeling" down for something like this (something with timing).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:09 am 
Discussion Pro

Keep in mind that those yardage markers are from the golf tee location not the cement. If you're throwing from the cement you're about 30' (if i remember correctly) behind where those signs are measured from.