Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:25 pm 
WTF ??!!!

Thanks to Google maps, I got some fairly accurate distances for the holes..........

Current hole 6 blue is 402'....... only about 300 to clear the rocks if you go for it.
Current hole 7 blue is 540' from the blue tee and my proposed revision in the opposite direction could be around 600' blue and 400' white.
Proposed hole 9, with an awesome view of the Mohawk, has the potential to be 700'
Current hole 9 measures around 560' blue and 300' white.
If they let us carve into the woods like hole 4, we should gain two more fully wooded holes(13 & 17).

I'm SOOOOOOO ready to dig for bucket targets, but the ground only let me pound stakes in about 3 inches before they shattered. Crossing my fingers for an early thaw.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:08 am 
Intermediate

Why longer fairways? The current #7 blue is long enough. Current #9 blue is too long. I thought this course was requested by the town Parks Dept to be beginner and casual player friendly? Yes, #1,3,4,5 & 8 are beginner friendly, perhaps too friendly. But both #2's, 6's & 7's and 9 blue are very challenging.
Please try and keep it friendly to all players. Thanks, Mel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:14 am 
WTF ??!!!

Mel wrote:
Why longer fairways? The current #7 blue is long enough. Current #9 blue is too long. I thought this course was requested by the town Parks Dept to be beginner and casual player friendly? Yes, #1,3,4,5 & 8 are beginner friendly, perhaps too friendly. But both #2's, 6's & 7's and 9 blue are very challenging.
Please try and keep it friendly to all players. Thanks, Mel
White tees were designed with beginners in mind and that will be the case for the new holes also.
Our proposal for 7, with re-using the tees in the opposite direction, was to prevent the Town from having to tear those tees up. This limits our pin location, with trying to avoid the ravine to the right and an area that stays pretty wet down that way. I've been thinking over the proposed pin position and it may not be approved, with the only option being to make it a bit shorter.
As far as overall course length goes, the current proposal has the blues at 6600' and whites around 4800'. For comparison, CPS blues are 5956' and whites 4388'.

We got a long way to go before anything becomes permanent. Feedback from all skill levels is always welcome. I have no issue with making the whites even shorter. I kinda wanted to keep the pars the same for blue and white but that too can change.

And...........with that beautiful view of the Mohawk, I kinda got lost in the moment. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:38 am 
Advanced

Mel - Kudos on your volunteer bench making. Hopefully the benches turn out as nice as the one I saw at Stonykill. I live a long way away from Blatnick, but my truck is available if you need to use it.

I don't have any part in the design of Blatnick, but personally I'm glad to see that the designers (Jeff?) are considering longer blue tees. I don't think their intent is to exclude rec/int players, but rather plan for future growth of the sport and advances in disc design.

Shorter tees can always be installed on holes that are too long.
Longer tees cannot always be installed on holes that are too short.

Designing a course around red or white tees will only limit the course in the future. Additionally, it's all subjective depending on what par is for each hole/tee.

http://www.pdga.com/files/ParGuidelines_1.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:36 am 
WTF ??!!!

One thing is for certain, there will be more diabolical rollaway greens. :twisted:
The way they finished off the landfill cap, with little knolls and plateaus scattered around, gives us some cool pin locations that can make a boring, open fairway much more challenging.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:55 pm 
Intermediate

Thanks Jeff for being open to suggestions. I appreciate it. As you know I play this course a lot. And I believe it was well designed considering the strange piece of land you had to work with. I do hope you can add a couple more wooded holes to the new layout.

Jasan, Thank You for the offer to help with transport of the benches. I think I might be able to fit them in my car, it's loading them in and carrying them for placement that I can't do alone.
They will be a simpler version of the two at Stonykill.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:45 pm 
Rookie

I play Blatnick often. If you see a Green Wrangler, give a whistle. I'm eager to pimp the course. Hole #4 gets soggy, thoughts about upkeep?

PDGA #84217

Fight or Flight? My discs say 'BOTH, Fight with Flight'!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:32 am 
WTF ??!!!

Nykdman1 wrote:
Hole #4 gets soggy, thoughts about upkeep?
Runoff from hole 2. Not sure we can do anything about it, aside from helping it drain toward the ravine.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:04 pm 
WTF ??!!!

Thanks to Nick D for help with the overgrown mess beyond hole 9........ I promise there's a fairway(or two) back there.

I will be out with stakes for the open holes in the coming weeks.
Looking to set bucket targets asap. I need to get people playing the layout.

The method to my madness......
So far, I've started marking some lines in/out/around the small wooded area by the dog park.
Yellow ribbons are the fairway defining lines.
Pink ribbons are trees that should go(but subject to town approval).
All small brush INSIDE the yellow ribbons can be removed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:35 pm 
Advanced

:clap:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:14 pm 
Intermediate

Looks good & interesting. Thanks Jeff! But..can there be an alternative route between 6 and 13? (Path for players that don't want to do the "Hill" (Methane Mile).
Please design for prime players, but also advocate for older and casual players too.
Thank You! M

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:16 pm 
Intermediate

Oops! I ment between 6 and 12.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:03 pm 
WTF ??!!!

Mel wrote:
Oops! I meant between 6 and 12.

Wide open between 6 and 12, aside from the hill climb past 14's pin(current 7).
Tees for 7 will remain in the same place so you could continue to play to 14s pin(which also won't be moving).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:12 pm 
Discussion Pro

Hole 17 blue looks like a day of fun work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:53 pm 
WTF ??!!!

germs wrote:
Hole 17 blue looks like a day of fun work.

I'm gonna ribbon the lane and have the park brush hog between.
Or just drive the tractor thru like they did to install 1's blue tee.
It is pretty thick back there but I'm trying to keep it away from 16s fairway(current 9).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next