Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:34 pm 
Intermediate

When in where will the next course be open to the public? Meaning in the immediate area such as blatnick or even Chatham course.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:04 pm 
I Am "They"

As fast as we can make it happen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:30 pm 
Intermediate

Thats not too encouraging...... At least i have CPS 5 mins from my house. Going to JPark is like going to a fancy restaurant for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:43 pm 
I Am "They"

And what a great restaurant that is. Free too. Larry have you gone to hyzer creek yet? Another gem.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:45 pm 
Advanced

Agreed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:51 pm 
Intermediate

No but i heard it was really nice. Eventually ill get there, heard theres alittle bit of snow on the course up there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm 
WTF ??!!!

Sounds like we gotta get Larry to "spread his wings" a bit........... Hyzer Creek is THE reason we have disc golf in the Albany area.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:44 pm 
Discussion Pro

When I became A Disc Golf Nut in 2005 the 2 closest courses to me were Warwick, and Hyzer Creek-Both 120 Miles away. I was severely bummed out about this so I made my own course, to keep me entertained. Then a miracle happened in 2007-somehow Kevin Rounds was putting in a 9 Hole course with his own baskets at Joralemon Park in Coeymans Hollow. I did not know where this was. I quickly checked Mapquest to see where this was, and could not believe that it was only 45 miles away!!. I quickly made friends with Greg, Kevin, Tim, and this guy named Jeff Zipkin that no one knew-but had started posting on the Hyzer Forum that he was big into Disc Golf, and had recently relocated here from Oregon. He was as pumped as me about playing J-Park, and quickly developing a friendship with kindred spirits. (I knew Greg, Kevin, and Tim from Tournaments). Fast forward to today, and now there are 2 9 hole courses less than 3 miles from my house, and an 18 hole summer course. When you love something-the drive is well worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:51 pm 
Discussion Pro

Actually i met morgan, tim, and greg at hyzer quite a while before the jpark plan was hatched.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:15 pm 
Discussion Pro

I met Sara long before the Hyzer plan was hatched. There was a time when the only 2 people who knew Hyzer existed were me and her. She's still here (16 yrs old)!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:35 am 
Intermediate

Has anyone ever broached the idea of a course at Schodack Island State Park in castleton,NY? Lots of rarely used land -- treed, next to the river---trails galore.

location : 42.499656,-73.775677 --- google maps has it located in the wrong place by like half a mile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:42 am 
Discussion Pro

This is a good idea. It gets pretty swampy on most land the trails don't use south of the open picnic areas. Other land around the picnic areas, pavilion, and boat launch could be used. It's very buggy there in season. Hunting is allowed in that season.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:46 am 
Discussion Pro

Mark,
I am intimitely familiar with that park. It was the first state park I mapped when I worked for NYS Parks. The trails circle the entire southern section of the park all the way down to the Army COE land. The northern part of the park is somewhat protected due to bird habitat. Besides, a lot of that land is actually dredge spoils - that peninsula used to be 3 islands that were connected when the Hudson was dredged - and remains very wet. The mosquitoes there are insane.
I wouldn't be opposed to taking another look at the prospects there, as I don't ever want to be close minded, but I don't think it's a great possibility.
Additionally, getting courses in State Parks if far more difficult than in town, or city parks due to the endless red tape, and painfully slow progress.
Feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss this further.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:52 am 
Discussion Pro

There might be less paperwork for a town park: Papascane Park is similar, but completely undeveloped, a little to the north but the entrance is from the port of Renssealer roads. Can't find anything on the internet about it.... I've been there.

Scodack Island State Park: http://nysparks.com/parks/146/maps.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:58 am 
Intermediate

Right---at the port of Rensselaer---been there a few times

http://www.rensselaercounty.org/Enviroment%20Management%20Council/Papscanee%20Preserve.htm