Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thatcher Park
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:04 am 
Novice

Apparently a zip line course is being installed and is scheduled to open this summer, and rock climbing is going to be permitted soon. Anyone ever look into putting a disc golf course in there?

KENJI HIJACKED CHRIS' POST
Pulled from PM from Mike:

Hole 1 tee is along the NE corner of the large, vacant parking lot just beyond the manager's office. The course heads generally in a clockwise direction along the edge of the former pool area (there's a new restroom facility there now) with several wide open shots mixed with some tricky, wooded technical ones typically under 200' in length. Tees are a little iffy still - 4' X 8' crushed stone pads, but most are not to grade so run ups are a bit precarious. Baskets are Innova Discatchers. Otherwise, take a trip out there this holiday weekend and have fun checking out the latest NYS Parks DGC!

Scorecards/maps are in the works and signs probably won't be up for another couple weeks.

Thanks again Kenji for all the DisCap support of golf at NYS Parks - keep on pushing and there's a good chance more courses will be sprouting up within the next year! :clap:

Cheers,

Mike

Post subject: Re: Thatcher Park
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:47 am 
Discussion Pro

Since no one bother to answer this I will say probably not. My son Colin loves the little zip line that's there not sure if that's what you are refering to.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:45 am 
Novice

Thanks. There was an article in the times union that a Canadian company it putting in a serious zip line course and that a push is on to offer more recreational opportunities in the park. Not sure how to post a link but it was the same day as my prior post. Something like 2000 plus acres of land in there.

I wanted to see if anyone had already approached the park about disc golf before looking into it myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:28 am 
I Am "They"

No one has approached the park. It's been talked about. It would be a great opportunity but someone needs to take the lead. The club has opportunities that we are having difficulties pursuing because the few that take on the projects are stretched thin trying to work the opportunities we already have now. Would love for you to take the lead Chris if you are interested.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:05 pm 
Novice

Thanks Kenji. Totally understood. I'm happy to take the lead.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:05 pm 
Intermediate

im down with helping with the Thatcher project..and/or taking the lead
i grew up in Vville and Thacher was my backyard...this would be the BEST place for dg imho
ive talked w someone who works there who said he has suggested it because he thought it would be a great spot for it [even though he doesnt play]
he says that they are open to the idea
next time i see him ill ask if he knows who we should talk to up there
i also remember seeing something on fb about this...

what types of things should we tell them about why this would be a good thing?

what type of resources of Discap might we be able to offer?

...basically, what is the best way to approach them about this?

Last edited by Skizzle on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:16 pm 
Intermediate

shad wrote:
Since no one bother to answer this I will say probably not. My son Colin loves the little zip line that's there not sure if that's what you are refering to.

referring
the zip lines that they have up there now are fun for little kids but they are planning on implementing something much bigger Shad..also to include rock climbing (so i hear)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:57 pm 
Intermediate

i sent this message to Thacher Park on fb

"Hello :)
I grew up in Voorheesville and have had many experiences at Thacher Park. I am currently a member of Discap which is a regional non-profit disc golf organization.
I am wondering if there is someone that I can talk to about establishing a possible partnership in the hopes of expanding disc golf in the area and giving people of all ages another reason to visit wonderful Thacher Park!

thank you for your consideration

Scott Basal"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:18 pm 
Intermediate

Scott,
Thatcher is not too far from where I live. I'd happy to assist in any way I can to make it happen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:51 am 
Intermediate

wino249 wrote:
Scott,
Thatcher is not too far from where I live. I'd happy to assist in any way I can to make it happen.

thanks Josh, i will keep you in mind
the news about Saratoga is VERY incouraging
it took a while for that to come to fruition
im thinking that putting together a list of benefits of disc golf for the park, to include highlights of recent developments in the area [to show the rising popularity of the sport] would be a good place to start...Stony Kill, Saratoga, Colonial Acres, Hunter, Gore, Mine Kill, etc.

other ideas to beef up the proposal might be:
- a petition [including testimonials] signed by...well, as many people as we could get
- pictures of recent projects [to highlight the minimal impact on the natural landscape]
- a proposal of an actual layout of holes
- reasons why Thacher [in particular] would be a great place for disc golf
- an official Discap statement of support for the project [to include specific resources that could be provided by the club]

info on how other projects first got started would be a good place to start

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:23 pm 
Intermediate

Hey man, I'm doing the same type of thing for Moreau, hopefully we can piggy back with a few things. One thing I'm going to work on next week is trying to get testimonials from the Schenectady and Ravena parks department. I'm even thinking of reaching as far out as Emporia Kansas. That town has some serious love for disc golf.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:58 am 
Intermediate

jaimenhume wrote:
Hey man, I'm doing the same type of thing for Moreau, hopefully we can piggy back with a few things. One thing I'm going to work on next week is trying to get testimonials from the Schenectady and Ravena parks department. I'm even thinking of reaching as far out as Emporia Kansas. That town has some serious love for disc golf.

ill piggy back on that fo sho!
good stuff Jaimen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:40 pm 
Intermediate

got some EXCELLENT news today ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:56 pm 
WTF ??!!!

Skizzle wrote:
got some EXCELLENT news today ;)

Well? Are you gonna keep it to yourself? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:26 pm 
Advanced

saw this http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S3813653.shtml?cat=300

it's probably elsewhere too... good place/opportunity to "voice the demand". Stay classy, San Diego