Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:18 pm 
Novice

Found! Had a great round at the park even though the wind was fierce at times. Had a nice talk with Bill and learned a little more about where the tee boxes for the back are going to be, and the fact that they think they are going to go with rubber mats for the tees, they claim they can mow over them. He also said the signs for the front will be going up soon, can't wait :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:07 pm 
Novice

Played 18 today, had a great time as usual, and didnt throw too bad either(-3), and spent a good hour or more on hole 18, cleaned up around the basket and "green" portioof the hole, cleared the fairway, made some debris bunkers, and a better defined trail to walk down from the tee area to the hole. Filled in a dangerous ankle breaker that was not far from the fairway, and removed some loose rocks to try and make it a little safer to walk and/or shoot from the fairway area. Looks a little wider and cleaner now, was told some more trees will be taken down also. Is going to be a great hole, I want to adopt it now that I've done some work on it :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:48 am 
Discussion Pro

Played Thacher for the first time this week and very excited!!
The views are as sweet as ever from the escarpment.
The back 9 is really fun and the front 9 just needs safer tee boxes .
Nearly impossible to figure out the flow without a map and without Mel's
guidance there is no way I'd have figured it out.
A monthly will be awesome. The pavilion at Basket 15 is a perfect tournament hq.
I'm ready to go again and will probably spend the next year trying to duplicate the deuces I shot on Holes 15,16,17, and 18
Thanks Mel for showing me the course! It's going to be a
great place to play golf
We also ran into Bill who said moving baskets is easy because he has a huge drill.
Talking about front 9 safety issues, use spotters if you go play the front

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:37 pm 
Novice

Spent some more time on the back 9 doing some clean up and such, worked on 16 & 15's baskets and green area. Might throw a rake in the car for the next time, would make easy work of a few areas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:06 pm 
Intermediate

As of this afternoon rubber tee pads have been installed for 9 through 18.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:03 pm 
I Am "They"

Thanks to all that came out to help Sunday. The back 9 has all the lines cleared. We spent a good 4 hours clearing the lines, and gaps. Moved tee 17 back a little so no trees were in the way of anyone's follow through. Moved tee 18 to be in line with the designers plan. Also cleared up green areas of 12, 13, 16 and 18. There is more beautification to be done but all lines are completely playable now. Thank You Ben, Danny, Chris, Earl, Jeff, Erik, & Tim.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:20 pm 
Intermediate

Why is Discap involved in this? Isn't the State Park Service in charge of changes to the course?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:28 pm 
WTF ??!!!

Mel wrote:
Why is Discap involved in this? Isn't the State Park Service in charge of changes to the course?

Because they accepted our suggestions and allowed us to do some trimming.

And Kenji is a pretty good salesman. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:04 am 
Intermediate

Thank You All! For clearing the fairways and greens.

But changing the position of tee's? I hear (from Greg) that you reset #18's tee 50' back from where the Park placed it.
I did think that it was positioned strangely when I played last Friday, and believed it should be pulled back 20'. But 50' seems like too much.

Seems that DisCap is concerned with only "Pro Player Challange" type of course design.
I was hoping that this course would remain the best "Casual Player" destination in the area.

I'll play this week and see how it goes. Perhaps I'm jumping the gun and I'll still be able to par 18 like I did before you changed the tee.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:44 am 
WTF ??!!!

Mel wrote:
But changing the position of tee's? I hear (from Greg) that you reset #18's tee 50' back from where the Park placed it.
Not sure where Greg got his info but......

kenjiac wrote:
Moved tee 18 to be in line with the designers plan.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:54 am 
I Am "They"

I didn't do the design I just know the designer and reached out to him. Got his notes for what needed to be done. Hole 18 was designed as a 350ft hyzer shot. The park placed the tee pad too close. Where it was at the tree line was nowhere near 350ft. We moved it back to be as the hired designer designed it.
DisCap is not only about Pro Player Challenge Mel we encourage all skill levels. As you can see in courses we have designed we utilize separate tees to cater to the pro and the casual. CPS has blues and whites, Blatnick has shorts and longs, we added white tees to J West. Thatcher was not designed by us front was designed by a park employee and the back by Explore Disc Golf. I have reached out to the owner Brian as I had taken course design workshop with him and he gave me his notes for each hole. I reached out to the park and got permission to execute the plan already in place as I know we would get it done much faster and with a proper disc golf eye. The park doesn't have the experience as seen by the front 9 tees and hole 5 tee placement as examples.
I have a meeting with Bill this week to discuss the plans for the course. Mel if you think the back is too tough play the front 9 twice for your 18 holes.
I kinda take offence that you always think we are against you. We try to be inclusive of all skills as shown by our designs. The courses we have done have separate tees to cater to all skill levels. We have designed beginner's course @ GE. We hold clinics to teach beginner's if anything we cater more to a beginning player than we do the "pro player" nothing we as a club have designed comes up to champion level in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:07 am 
Intermediate

Yes, I agree that the Park placed the tee too close to the tree line.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:11 am 
Intermediate

kenjiac wrote:
I didn't do the design I just know the designer and reached out to him. Got his notes for what needed to be done. Hole 18 was designed as a 350ft hyzer shot. The park placed the tee pad too close. Where it was at the tree line was nowhere near 350ft. We moved it back to be as the hired designer designed it.
DisCap is not only about Pro Player Challenge Mel we encourage all skill levels. As you can see in courses we have designed we utilize separate tees to cater to the pro and the casual. CPS has blues and whites, Blatnick has shorts and longs, we added white tees to J West. Thatcher was not designed by us front was designed by a park employee and the back by Explore Disc Golf. I have reached out to the owner Brian as I had taken course design workshop with him and he gave me his notes for each hole. I reached out to the park and got permission to execute the plan already in place as I know we would get it done much faster and with a proper disc golf eye. The park doesn't have the experience as seen by the front 9 tees and hole 5 tee placement as examples.
I have a meeting with Bill this week to discuss the plans for the course. Mel if you think the back is too tough play the front 9 twice for your 18 holes.
I kinda take offence that you always think we are against you. We try to be inclusive of all skills as shown by our designs. The courses we have done have separate tees to cater to all skill levels. We have designed beginner's course @ GE. We hold clinics to teach beginner's if anything we cater more to a beginning player than we do the "pro player" nothing we as a club have designed comes up to champion level in my opinion.

I'm going to state again " why is DisCap getting involved in the design of a State run DGC beyond suggestions for improvement to the park staff?"

I don't think you are always against me, for I am an avid Disc Golfer and we pretty much want the same thing. Nice courses to play in the area.

I am voicing my opinion as a Casual Player which seems to be in short supply in DisCap. And I will continue to do so.

If the club feels the need to improve courses to their liking, then "improve away"on Central Park, Blatnick, J-Park & Stonykill.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:25 am 
I Am "They"

Mel wrote:
I'm going to state again " why is DisCap getting involved in the design of a State run DGC beyond suggestions for improvement to the park staff?"

I don't think you are always against me, for I am an avid Disc Golfer and we pretty much want the same thing. Nice courses to play in the area.

I am voicing my opinion as a Casual Player which seems to be in short supply in DisCap. And I will continue to do so.

If the club feels the need to improve courses to their liking, then "improve away"on Central Park, Blatnick, J-Park & Stonykill.

Mel how many times do I need to write that we didn't have anything to do with the design? We just volunteered to execute the design the park hired the designer to do.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:56 pm 
Novice

I wish Discap was involved in helping with the design of the course from the beginning. I was told by Bill in the office that Mike from Mine Kill helped layout the front 9 and that they hired a designer from Innova for the back. When I talked with him about tee's, he sounded interested in having longer and shorter for each type of player skill level, I described MKDGC's layout for him. I love the rubber mats that are being used and I also love the new placement on the back 9, especially once the proper trees are removed, it is going to be great. Yes the back 9 are tough and a challenge, thats what makes it fun! I too am a casual player and I don't feel Mel is a spokesperson for all casual players, I love a challenge, thats what pushes me to get better. Answer this Mel, when you play hole #5, do you use the tee pad given? What about on #6 & #8? Do those tee pads make any sense to a casual player or just a pro? It seems that a common trend on most DGC's is that the front 9 is a little more forgiving than the back 9. The front 9 at Thacher is easy enough for my wife to make par on a couple of holes and she has only played maybe 4 times in her life, twice this year only on a couple of holes. I myself have only been playing this great sport for just over a year now and all I want to do is get courses around in every park possible so everyone can enjoy it. But just like ball golf, if you cant hit the ball very far, don't blame the game or the designer of the course because it takes you more strokes to get down the fairway...either move up or start a handicap.. but quit complaining about it, get better or find another sport because this is supposed to be fun and relaxing. Make your own tee placement if you dont like what is there, there is no law... only solutions to such an easy conflict besides questioning those that have brought this sport to our area, I thank you all for what you do in the Discap community and try to help out anyway I can.

BTW found a disc with CURRY 8120778 on it, left it at the main office

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next