Discap

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:11 pm 
Intermediate

I don't believe that one group (Discap) should have almost total control over all local disc golf courses.
I do believe that the club (Discap, which I am a member) does have the right to make suggestions for better design and safety for non club courses.

I never claimed to be a voice for all casual players. I make statements for myself alone.

Of course I don't use tee #5. I do use #6 and #8, but play to the left of the big maple.
I have talked to Bill a few times now about the course. Suggestions and praise.

Don't quite know why you are so angry. My only real gripe was why change tee #18 to be 50' longer then the way the park installed it.

I have always enjoyed your updates on this course and appreciate your dedication to it.

And, of course I like the challenge of trying to better my score on tricky holes, it's part of the fun.
Don't understand why you believe I don't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:36 am 
WTF ??!!!

Mel wrote:
I don't believe that one group (Discap) should have almost total control over all local disc golf courses.
Not sure where you get this notion. :think:

We made a few suggestions and asked to do some volunteer work at Thacher. The main course install was done by the state/park workers.
I'd say we have partial "control" over the courses at J-Park, CPS and Stonykill. They still want us to run any changes/improvements/etc by them.
Blatnick is all Nisky aside from the design that they asked us to do.
Hyzer Creek is under Morgan's control.
Hunter is private property. Skot Hanna designed and helped install. DisCap members have occasionally helped with the seasonal relocation of baskets.
Colonial Acres is private property and they asked for our design help.
Mine Kill was designed by a non-DisCap member and we have no influence there aside from the Ace Race we helped run.
Willow is in another state. We did volunteer our time a while back to redesign the course to be safer but they went their own way with the expansion and it's once again an unsafe course.
Saratoga Spa asked a private firm to design it and the state workers installed it. Well, we locked the baskets in the sleeves and trimmed a few trees but only after the usual red tape.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:59 am 
I Am "They"

Mel wrote:
My only real gripe was why change tee #18 to be 50' longer then the way the park installed it.

Because the park put the tee in the incorrect spot. The designer has this hole as a 340ft shot. The park placed that pad at less than 300ft away from the basket and pointed in the wrong direction. I don't even think that where we moved it to is 340ft away from the basket I'd have get out and measure it. It may have been designed even further back.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:38 am 
Intermediate

MichiganJeff wrote:
Mel wrote:
Not sure where you get this notion. :think:

We made a few suggestions and asked to do some volunteer work at Thacher. The main course install was done by the state/park workers.
I'd say we have partial "control" over the courses at J-Park, CPS and Stonykill. They still want us to run any changes/improvements/etc by them.
Blatnick is all Nisky aside from the design that they asked us to do.
Hyzer Creek is under Morgan's control.
Hunter is private property. Skot Hanna designed and helped install. DisCap members have occasionally helped with the seasonal relocation of baskets.
Colonial Acres is private property and they asked for our design help.
Mine Kill was designed by a non-DisCap member and we have no influence there aside from the Ace Race we helped run.
Willow is in another state. We did volunteer our time a while back to redesign the course to be safer but they went their own way with the expansion and it's once again an unsafe course.
Saratoga Spa asked a private firm to design it and the state workers installed it. Well, we locked the baskets in the sleeves and trimmed a few trees but only after the usual red tape.

I'll talk to you in person sometime in the future or send a PM. I was hoping to play the monthly on the 10th but will be away. Next time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:35 am 
Novice

kenjiac wrote:
Mel wrote:
My only real gripe was why change tee #18 to be 50' longer then the way the park installed it.

Because the park put the tee in the incorrect spot. The designer has this hole as a 340ft shot. The park placed that pad at less than 300ft away from the basket and pointed in the wrong direction. I don't even think that where we moved it to is 340ft away from the basket I'd have get out and measure it. It may have been designed even further back.

Bingo. I agree. Map looks like 18s tee is by the prior tree line. Any closer and it's not really a clean shot.

Wasn't able to stick around and play after the work day but heading out this morning to throw.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:17 am 
Novice

Lol I rescind the above comment about 18s tee. Played the current location yesterday and parked it with a rhfh turnover avenger ss for the 2.

Shot 52 for 18. Ugly 25 on the front (4,3,3,2,3,3,3,2,2) .... and pretty solid 27 on the back (3,4,4,2,3,3,3,3,2)

i bet 50 gets broken by a few people at the monthly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:11 am 
WTF ??!!!

Martin wrote:
i bet 50 gets broken by a few people at the monthly.

49 from Greg K. I EASILY could've shot a 48 but stupid putts and an OB left me with a 51. :oops:

Front 9 needs work from a safety standpoint. Ideally a significant redesign, IMO............

Tee 1 needs to move up the hill or the tee sign needs to suggest sending a spotter up the hill to verify the path is clear.
Hole 2 is an accident waiting to happen. Totally blind to the pathway behind the pin unless you send a spotter way down there.
Hole 3 is also a danger shot with a blind path just behind it.
Hole 4 is a cool tunnel shot but the fairway is a picnic area and beyond the pin is blind to a walking trail/cliff viewpoint.
From tee 6 you can see pin 7 better than pin 6. Not a big deal because if you did mistake the pin you'd still be on track for the correct one.

My suggestion would be to tweak holes 1 and 2, eliminate 3 thru 5, move the tee on 6(to hide 7s pin from view) and then add 10-12 to the front 9 loop. There's gotta be of room to add 3 holes to the back 9 in the woods west of 13-14, to complete the 18 hole loop.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:30 am 
Intermediate

These seem like good suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:51 am 
Rookie

I would encourage the Discap Board and/or designated representatives to reach out to the Thatcher course implementers and state the following: "Look, we love this new course, however, after trying it out, individuals with several years of playing experience have some significant safety concerns about certain holes". The last thing that I would like to see is for disc golf to get scrapped up there due to an injury. [A quick google search will reveal that people can sustain serious injuries, lawsuits happen, and courses can get pulled]. As you know, Thatcher is in the process of building and expanding all of the services at the Park, and that will only mean increased visitor volume, etc. While the course is still fluid and the Park is open to suggestions, best to nip this in the bud, assure safety for all, and create a course that will be viable over time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:58 am 
WTF ??!!!

ErikJRavn wrote:
I would encourage the Discap Board and/or designated representatives to reach out to the Thatcher course implementers and state the following: "Look, we love this new course, however, after trying it out, individuals with several years of playing experience have some significant safety concerns about certain holes". The last thing that I would like to see is for disc golf to get scrapped up there due to an injury. [A quick google search will reveal that people can sustain serious injuries, lawsuits happen, and courses can get pulled]. As you know, Thatcher is in the process of building and expanding all of the services at the Park, and that will only mean increased visitor volume, etc. While the course is still fluid and the Park is open to suggestions, best to nip this in the bud, assure safety for all, and create a course that will be viable over time.

Cross your fingers that they are more "receptive" to change than Saratoga because the safety issues there are pretty much the same.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:01 am 
Rookie

If Discap approaches them now, at least we have a record of our attempt to increase safety and the club has cover in case of a bad outcome. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:14 am 
I Am "They"

I have reached out and they are receptive to my safety suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:42 am 
Novice

Looks like they have listened to the safety concerns, played yesterday and the front nine has some new tee pad placement. They now have rubber mats for all the tee pads. #1 has been moved up on the hill to the right towards basket #7, making it easier to see the basket and also if anyone is walking in the vicinity, just have to be aware if anyone is teeing off of #7, or vise verse. #3 is moved to the left, making it a hyzer line to the basket (which I almost aced). #5 has been positioned in the correct line for the tunnel shot into the woods. #8 is angled towards the basket better, but on an awkward angle to the hill. All in all it is getting better, now if they could take down the marked trees on the back nine to open up some of the woods play it will be real fun to play :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:32 am 
WTF ??!!!

Good news. Might have to make a trip out there next week.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:57 am 
Novice

Played last wknd and the tees are definitely much safer where they are now located. 1 especially. Not a fan of the change to 3 but wasn't a good hole to begin with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next