Colonial Acres course work, improvements, etc

2014 - Glenmont, NY
9 tees/baskets
MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Colonial Acres course work, improvements, etc

Post by MichiganJeff » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:09 pm

Now that it's in a public park and free to play, we should look into the layout and maybe make the course a bit more permanent.
First things that come to mind are......
- Better tees
- Add alternate tees
- Permanent pin positions
- Signs
2019-2020 Innova Ambassador
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

Greg
Discussion Pro

Re: Colonial Acres course work, improvements, etc

Post by Greg » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:33 pm

Could be great change! What town now owns it?
Maybe our club can be hired to run it

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:43 pm

Greg wrote:Could be great change! What town now owns it?
Maybe our club can be hired to run it

Bethlehem owns it and made it Colonial Acres Park.
We cannot "run" it.
PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

Mel
Intermediate

Post by Mel » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:29 pm

I am interested in CA. Played there today with a few friends. This could be a good beginner/rec course AND for more advanced players.
I took a quick par-ooze around the park and looks like a 12 hole course could fit? Two tee areas: Blue-red.

Is there a group working on this course? I would be interested in taking part in the "red" course design and making signs, building "red tees" etc.

What's the story on this?

Mr. B
Rookie

Post by Mr. B » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:32 am

Mel wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:29 pm
I am interested in CA. Played there today with a few friends. This could be a good beginner/rec course AND for more advanced players.
I took a quick par-ooze around the park and looks like a 12 hole course could fit? Two tee areas: Blue-red.

Is there a group working on this course? I would be interested in taking part in the "red" course design and making signs, building "red tees" etc.

Not much of a story. I've been experimenting with some different layouts, nothing permanent yet. 100% the goal is to not go up and down the old fairways as that was primarily how we were playing this course for the last year and was very boring. The first two holes and the last two holes are pretty classic but the holes in between are a work in progress.

Maybe 12 holes could fit but there's only 9 baskets so we're working with what we got. Better to have more room than not enough room and have safety be a big concern.

I put flags out to mark where the tees could go and both a new White & Red layout are mapped and on uDisc. I am planning to add an 18 hole Red/White alternating layout to uDisc once I get a bit more feedback on the current locations.

REDS https://imgur.com/kVCv0Q1
WHITES https://imgur.com/PTIwp7Q
@bickersmith

Greg Kurtz

Post by Greg Kurtz » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:18 am

The town of Bethlehem has asked us to redesign Colonial Acres. Local residents Chris Martin and Josh Weinstock have been in touch with the town and all parties involved want to retain a disc golf course in the Park. I am unsure when the next planning meeting will happen.

Brian has been experimenting with various layouts and his online maps show the holes he's laid out. Nothing has been finalized. Questions remain as to what mowing plans do they have and the park has bird nesting zones that need to be maintained.
It's a great location and it'll be a fun course for everyone.
Looking forward to playing in this Park!

Mel
Intermediate

Post by Mel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:42 am

Mr. B wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:32 am
Mel wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:29 pm

Not much of a story. I've been experimenting with some different layouts, nothing permanent yet. 100% the goal is to not go up and down the old fairways as that was primarily how we were playing this course for the last year and was very boring. The first two holes and the last two holes are pretty classic but the holes in between are a work in progress.

Maybe 12 holes could fit but there's only 9 baskets so we're working with what we got. Better to have more room than not enough room and have safety be a big concern.

I put flags out to mark where the tees could go and both a new White & Red layout are mapped and on uDisc. I am planning to add an 18 hole Red/White alternating layout to uDisc once I get a bit more feedback on the current locations.

REDS https://imgur.com/kVCv0Q1
WHITES https://imgur.com/PTIwp7Q
Of course there is a story. You just gave me some of it. Only some.
Who is we? Are you the official course designer?
I have played different holes than what you show. Why is the 100% goal to completely change the basic flow of course. Did 100% of players with an opinion agree?
Is the CA group (if there is one) open to more people getting involved?

Mel
Intermediate

Post by Mel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:51 am

Greg Kurtz wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:18 am
The town of Bethlehem has asked us to redesign Colonial Acres. Local residents Chris Martin and Josh Weinstock have been in touch with the town and all parties involved want to retain a disc golf course in the Park. I am unsure when the next planning meeting will happen.

Brian has been experimenting with various layouts and his online maps show the holes he's laid out. Nothing has been finalized. Questions remain as to what mowing plans do they have and the park has bird nesting zones that need to be maintained.
It's a great location and it'll be a fun course for everyone.
Looking forward to playing in this Park!
Who's us? Discap or interested players? Is this an open group? Closed?

Mr. B
Rookie

Post by Mr. B » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:37 am

Eh. I'm just some guy who plays there with my neighbor often since we are very close. Sorry. Didn't intend to imply to you in anyway that I am of some we, in which this we has any official capacity whatsoever. My story is I play the course often and think it will be more interesting to not go up and down the fairways while traversing the course. You are free to play the course however you like currently. I am just experimenting.
@bickersmith

Mel
Intermediate

Post by Mel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:00 pm

Mr. B wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:37 am
Eh. I'm just some guy who plays there with my neighbor often since we are very close. Sorry. Didn't intend to imply to you in anyway that I am of some we, in which this we has any official capacity whatsoever. My story is I play the course often and think it will be more interesting to not go up and down the fairways while traversing the course. You are free to play the course however you like currently. I am just experimenting.
Don't get me wrong, I think it's great you are experimenting with course design. Thanks!
I personally love the idea of a "red" & "white" course. As long as the PDGA guidelines for reds & whites are followed.
Many "red" & "white" courses seem to be just short courses for advanced players like the "red" course at Wilcox Park. Or Ace runs, not really a PDGA "red" or "white" course.

I will go soon and play what you have designed. Looks interesting.

Mr. B
Rookie

Post by Mr. B » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:08 pm

Yup. And I understand those guidelines for Reds would not like what I have "temporarily" for this Red layout as Hole 1 is a shot over water currently (there's a couple other options for where 1 could start for red, either off the hole 1 green, or up the path, each would be about a 100ft shot) and Hole 8 has water no matter where the pad comes from, unless the pin was moved but we also wouldn't want to take away from the way Hole 8 "long" is played either. Like I wrote, "experimenting" is the closest form to what's out there currently. There are a lot of options with the land.

I'm using we and I generally in this response, We as in everyone/anyone/all of us/all of them.
@bickersmith

Greg Kurtz

Post by Greg Kurtz » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:33 am

Mel,
It is an open group that we'd be glad to have you join.
We still need to see what the town plans to do with the Park.
Chris and Josh will let everyone know when and what we can do to redesign the course.
Brian has done all sorts of cool design work and all ideas are on the table.
Pay to play and golf lessons at the golf shack and milkshakes!!

Mel
Intermediate

Post by Mel » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:00 am

Greg Kurtz wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:33 am
Mel,
It is an open group that we'd be glad to have you join.
We still need to see what the town plans to do with the Park.
Chris and Josh will let everyone know when and what we can do to redesign the course.
Brian has done all sorts of cool design work and all ideas are on the table.
Thanks, I talked to Josh today.
Looks like a good group of interested people.

MichiganJeff
WTF ??!!!

Post by MichiganJeff » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Greg Kurtz wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:33 am
Because pay to play worked so well there before?

PDGA #11653 / NEFA #1112

Mel
Intermediate

Post by Mel » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:22 pm

Mr. B wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:08 pm
Yup. And I understand those guidelines for Reds would not like what I have "temporarily" for this Red layout as Hole 1 is a shot over water currently (there's a couple other options for where 1 could start for red, either off the hole 1 green, or up the path, each would be about a 100ft shot) and Hole 8 has water no matter where the pad comes from, unless the pin was moved but we also wouldn't want to take away from the way Hole 8 "long" is played either. Like I wrote, "experimenting" is the closest form to what's out there currently. There are a lot of options with the land.

I'm using we and I generally in this response, We as in everyone/anyone/all of us/all of them.
Hi Brian,Yes,the PDGA guidelines for courses are just that, guidelines. I agree with most as far as distances/pars and challenges are concerned.

I personally don't like most water holes. To risky, will only chance unloved discs.
But...it seems correct to have one small water challenge on the CA "Red" course.
I like to play #8 from what looks to be the original "ball" golf tee area. I play a par 4 over the water(two throws to edge of pond, one over, one putt). My friends decided to play around the pond to the left, then putt to target. Still par 4.

For hole #1 I would just place the "red" tee about 75-100" forward from long tee. Perhaps to the left near woods? Bird houses will have to be moved on this hole.

I play #3 along the woods line past the big birch left into a woods pocket. All people I've played with (three others) like this. It's different than all other target areas.

Just want to share ideas, it's great you and others are interested in saving and improving this course.